Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 5 of 9 [ 178 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post subject: Re: AJ Pollock
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 pm 

ReTired wrote:
matt wrote:
This really sucks. AJ has been one of the best parts of this season.

Yep, and it is quite ironic that he is one of the productive younger players that had to battle his way onto the team without much support from Gibson.

Why do you say that? Gibson sat him a little when he was banged up is all...In May he started all but two games and in April he started all but 6 but he had a tweaked hamstring and some other injury that I cant remember off the top of my head...

Last edited by mamwicz on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:43 pm 

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:03 pm 

mamwicz wrote:
ReTired wrote:
matt wrote:
This really sucks. AJ has been one of the best parts of this season.

Yep, and it is quite ironic that he is one of the productive younger players that had to battle his way onto the team without much support from Gibson.

Why do you say that? Gibson sat him a little when he was banged up is all...In May he started all but two games and in April he started all but 6 but he had a tweaked hamstring and some other injury that I cant remember off the top of my head...

He only started 46 of the teams 58 games, with less than half due to the hamstring issue. For comparisons sake Parra has started all but one of the teams games, in spite of being an obvious platoon candidate. But my point was mostly based on last year, not this one.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:10 pm 

Dre wrote:
See you in spring training AJ... This club hangs guys out to dry who try to come back too fast and don't perform while less than 100%. Take your time and start this career surge over again in 2015.

They also hang guys out to dry that take the necessary time to heal and dont rush back. For example Drew.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:04 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Dre wrote:
See you in spring training AJ... This club hangs guys out to dry who try to come back too fast and don't perform while less than 100%. Take your time and start this career surge over again in 2015.

They also hang guys out to dry that take the necessary time to heal and dont rush back. For example Drew.

Ugh.....That was one of K.K.s worst moments....

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:50 pm 

Pollock named NL Player of the Week again

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:08 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Dre wrote:

Perhaps both concepts will be past history.... IF TLR truly is given final word on personnel.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:30 pm 

Top-3 Diamondbacks by oWAR:
Pollock 2.3
Goldschmidt 1.9
Montero 1.1

This is a huge loss.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am 

A.J. Pollock, Better Than You Think, Now Gone

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-j-poll ... -now-gone/

Quote:
Pollock is one of just five true center fielders worth six WAR since the start of 2013. (I’m discounting Shin-Soo Choo here, who isn’t a center fielder now and was merely trying to impersonate one last year.) If you prefer “over the last calendar year,” he’s still No. 5, behind the big three and Ellsbury. With 2.5 WAR through 50 games this year, he was on pace for 6 WAR in 2014 alone, and had been behind only Trout and Gomez before getting hurt.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:31 pm 

I read before bed last night that Pollock won't resume baseball activities for 8 weeks.

Figuring he'll need at least 2 weeks minimum after that worth of rehab and minor league games.

So 10 weeks is the soonest I think we can expect him back. Thats August 15th.

I'll set the over/under on his return at 9/1 however. Rosters expand then anyway.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:46 pm 

Nearly 1 full year since the last post in AJ's thread? Travesty! We complain loudly about the players who don't produce, but we need to celebrate our guys like AJ more. Sure, we could have drafted Trout that year, but for a guy who was viewed as a money saving pick as the #17 overall in 2009, he has turned into a nice player. His WAR the last 3 years per BRef:

2013 - 3.5
2014 - 3.9
2015 - 2.4

He's in his age 27 season and I think he has 3 more arb years remaining. They could lock him up through age 32 fairly reasonably.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:56 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
I read before bed last night that Pollock won't resume baseball activities for 8 weeks.

Saw this thread and this post. :shock::(

Thanks Oden for the resurrection :evil::lol:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:38 pm 

Oden wrote:
Nearly 1 full year since the last post in AJ's thread? Travesty! We complain loudly about the players who don't produce, but we need to celebrate our guys like AJ more. Sure, we could have drafted Trout that year, but for a guy who was viewed as a money saving pick as the #17 overall in 2009, he has turned into a nice player. His WAR the last 3 years per BRef:

2013 - 3.5
2014 - 3.9
2015 - 2.4

He's in his age 27 season and I think he has 3 more arb years remaining. They could lock him up through age 32 fairly reasonably.

Good call....strange.

Dunno why he's not getting more love overall. Yes, 1st time arb eligible next year , FA after 2018 season.

Not sure I would want to extend him though. A sizable chunk of his value is in defense and base running, which is bound to decline a bit by the time he turns 31.

Also, fairly sizable platoon split indicates his offensive upside and power upside probably isn't much at all. This is peak Pollock right here right now in my opinion. You take the next 3 arb years one at a time, and play it out.

His limited playing time and limited HR and RBI totals will keep his arb numbers pretty reasonable. No real upside for the team to "lock him up", as he's not going to get real expensive through arb anyway, and age 31-32 he is not likely to be as good as he is now.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:36 am 

Limited playing time, keep most of the better players from becoming too valuable. The new MLB economizer, Selig smiles.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:16 am 

This is a little off topic, but has anyone else read THE GAME: INSIDE THE SECRET WORLD OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL'S POWER BROKERS by Jon Pressah?

George Steinbrenner comes across as a (ultimately sympathetic) dick of course, but it was interesting to see Selig racked over the coals for his self-serving decisions.

Really great read (best baseball business book since LORDS OF THE REALM by John Heylar), I heartily recommend it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:37 am 

D-backs' Pollock playing like an All-Star

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:29 am 

TAP wrote:

Unfortunately he'll get crowded out by the bigger names having solid, but not as good as Pollock, seasons

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:48 am 

I say buy out his three arb years and extend two years if he'll sign for about 5/$40-$50 this off-season. Even with a slight decline in his abilities he is/will be better than any option currently in the system or available at a reasonable cost on the FA market. Even if the Dbacks draft Daz Cameron, he would probably be four or five years away from contributing.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:49 am 

Dre wrote:
TAP wrote:

Unfortunately he'll get crowded out by the bigger names having solid, but not as good as Pollock, seasons

Especially since OFers don't get selected by position.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:11 am 

I'd like to see them try to extend Pollock, but age 32 is my cutoff. As Shoe said, he shouldn't have the kind of stats that would cause his salary to sky rocket during arbitration anyway. At this point, though, both sides should have a pretty good idea what he'll be asking for over the next couple of years. I'd be hopeful that a reasonable 5 year contract could be agreed on.

Page 5 of 9 [ 178 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News