Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Diamondbacks To Extend Aaron Hill
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 am 

link

Post subject: Re: Diamondbacks To Extend Aaron Hill
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 am 

ouch...

I like Hill as much as the next guy, but this is potentially a real terrible contract for the team

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 am 

I'm all for extending your key people before they hit Free Agency, but are Hill, Pennington, Putz and Prado really the guys you want to build around? I'll give you Prado, but Hill (career 100 OPS+) and Putz are on the wrong side of 30 and Pennington is strictly a one dimensional utility player.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 am 

David B wrote:
I'm all for extending your key people before they hit Free Agency, but are Hill, Pennington, Putz and Prado really the guys you want to build around? I'll give you Prado, but Hill (career 100 OPS+) and Putz are on the wrong side of 30 and Pennington is strictly a one dimensional utility player.

Putz extension was exploiting a player willing to take less money for some certainty. Putz extension is a steal with the big if, he stays healthy.

Pennington deal was cost certainty buying out 2 arb years, not building around him. Club probably figures its Opening Day 2015 when Gregorius, Owings, or Ahmed are ready to play SS everyday.

Only time will tell on this Hill deal, I'm not counting on him being the best 2B in the NL again this year. I assume this is 3 additional years on top of 2013, so it could get pretty ugly in year 3 and 4. Just shows the premiums being put on positions that lack depth and upside potential across the game.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:00 am 

You have Davidson coming up at third (a potentially potent bat who apparently has worked hard on his defense). There should be some thinking of sliding Prado over to second. Locking up Hill negates that option (just like signing Putz probably blocks Hernandez from the closer's role). It's all about the effective use of resources.

Last edited by David B on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 am 

The recent deals viewed individually are slightly concerning, but not nearly as concerning as when viewed together. There is no cohesive vision/plan/philosophy. Just moving in wrong direction, giving away all the cheap assets with a likelihood to outperform their contracts and replacing them with players the Org hopes will meet their contract.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:45 am 

David B wrote:
You have Davidson coming up at third (a potentially potent bat who apparently has worked hard on his defense). The should be some thinking of sliding Prado over to second. Locking up Hill negates that option (just like signing Putz probably blocks Hernandez from the closer's role). It's all about the effective use of resources.

The plan was never to move Prado to 2nd. He is going to LF when Davidson is ready.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 am 

Well, the plan should have been to think about moving him to 2B, because with Pollock, Eaton and Parra they potentially have their outfield stocked. Prado is much more valuable as an infielder than he is at a typically power outfield spot.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am 

David B wrote:
Well, the plan should have been to think about moving him to 2B, because with Pollock, Eaton and Parra they potentially have their outfield stocked. Prado is much more valuable as an infielder than he is at a typically power outfield spot.

But if these guys are the answers to the question... then we're either fucked or asking the wrong question

Best case is Hill continues his resurgence, Davidson is who we hope he is, and Prado contributes at a level in the top half of NL LFs.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm 

Another confusing contract. Do they really want to move Prado to LF for Davidson? He ranked 13th out of 17 qualified LF's in 2012 (Ross was 12th).

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:50 pm 

I'd posted this in the Prado thread, commenting on his contract extension. I'm on my way to being right, and boy do I wish I wasn't in this case.

Ryan wrote:
You'd think this means Hill won't be resigned after this year and then Prado will slide over to 2B where he has more value and Davidson will be brought up, but knowing Towers he'll probably just trade Davidson for pennies on the dollar.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:54 pm 

matt wrote:
Another confusing contract. Do they really want to move Prado to LF for Davidson? He ranked 13th out of 17 qualified LF's in 2012 (Ross was 12th).

ranked in what?

I got Prado as T-2 in fWAR with Alex Gordon, only behind Roider Braun in 2012

Ranks 10th of 16 offensively, but ranks on tops in defense, and a solid baserunner gives him that #2 rank.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:08 pm 

I would have given him a qualifying offer at the end of 2013 and gone from there. But with the prado trade and extension this was inevitable. Hill fits their profile. Gritty older players. Hope he ages well....better than history history suggests at his position. He is a dead pull hitter. If he loses any bat speed at all he will decline fast.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm 

Dre wrote:
matt wrote:

ranked in what?

I got Prado as T-2 in fWAR with Alex Gordon, only behind Roider Braun in 2012

Ranks 10th of 16 offensively, but ranks on tops in defense, and a solid baserunner gives him that #2 rank.

Sorry, ranked by OPS. I think that WAR puts way too much emphasis on defensive stats.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
I would have given him a qualifying offer at the end of 2013 and gone from there. But with the prado trade and extension this was inevitable. Hill fits their profile. Gritty older players. Hope he ages well....better than history history suggests at his position. He is a dead pull hitter. If he loses any bat speed at all he will decline fast.

By the way, if anyone wants to see the "long version" of the above analysis, I posted it at the Snakepit in response to Jim's analysis HERE

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 pm 

One of the problems with predicting how older players are going to age is that the majority of the most recent comps had chemical assistance, skewing the data. Makes it awfully difficult to predict future production when it's been 20 years since players followed a natural aging curve.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 pm 

Exactly Gary, thats what I was alluding to in that Snakepit post when I talked about the cluster of the "usual suspects" between 2000-2003 on the list of players that performed well in their 30's at 2b.

EDIT: The flip side off that though is you can't go all the way back to Pre 1985 and just compare those guys because Nutrition, health care, and workout regimens have all improved.

It's tough to find the middle ground. But the age of the average player, and the percent of production that comes from younger players has definitely skewed back younger over the last 5-6 years, after the "spike" of the late 90's and early 2000's with older players dominating.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm 

Shoe: good reasoning.

An extra year at 10M is ok. 2b, as you note, do not age well. If they are athletic and can avoid the jarring on the dp, maybe. Hill is not this.

First year (which they had already) this is likely to look great. 2 years from now, it is going to look like Eric Byrnes, but by then Gibson and Towers will be out the door so what do they care.

Last edited by stu on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:08 pm 

stu wrote:
First year (which they had already) this is likely to look great. 2 years from now, it is going to look like Eric Byrnes, but by then Gibson and Towers will be out the door so what do they care.

Yeah, thought the Dbacks learned their lesson about 3yr/$30mm deals...

Ya know, Hill/Prado have shown similar inconsistency over the past 4 years,,, if they were young with talent, they'd be "enigmas"...

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 pm 

You guys have a great schtick! ;)No matter what happens, good or bad, there'll be a spin... "In spite of..." "because of..."

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News