Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 10 of 10 [ 186 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post subject: Re: Team Uniforms
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:58 pm 

TAP wrote:
Ryan wrote:
I think it's a couple of things:

1) The purple is associated with WINNING (despite the fact that 2004 happened in purple). The purple is associated with Colangelo. Sedona Red is associated with a bunch of really unlikable/unhappy times (Eric "Flipper" Byrnes, Kevin Towers, etc.).

2) As others have pointed out, too many teams around baseball -- and the NL in particular -- use red. At least the Astros ditched it, so that's one less red team.

3) The red uniforms themselves (forget about the colors for a moment) are just bad. Speaking for myself, I have no interest in buying a jersey. The "Dbacks" abbreviation on the chests is dumb, and the Disney-style "D" hat logo that the team uses every day but home Saturdays is dumb. The sleeveless purple pinstripe uniforms are just a nicer, classier baseball uniform (again, ignoring what you may feel about the colors themselves).

I'd love to see the team bring back the latter uniforms, just in a Sedona Red treatment -- red hat with a black-and-sand color "A" logo hat, red "A" on the left breast, and red pinstripes.

So you're suggesting a best of both worlds solution.

I think it might make everyone happy. :PThey'd get me to buy a jersey, that's for sure. And look around sports in general these days: fans appreciate nods to the "classic" team looks. So this could be a fun, classy way to do that.

Last edited by Ryan on Mon May 11, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 pm 

Ryan wrote:
TAP wrote:
So you're suggesting a best of both worlds solution.

I think it might make everyone happy. :PThey'd get me to buy a jersey, that's for sure. And looks around sports in general these days: fans appreciate nods to the "classic" team looks. So this could be a fun, classy way to do that.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:21 am 

I like his idea.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:42 am 

dirtygary on May 17, 2013 wrote:
I always thought the only problem with the uniforms were the colors, particularly the teal. The purple could have been in a good tone, but there's just no hiding the teal. If the teal was replaced with an olive or copper, it would have been ok. Just anything but the teal. The styles of the jerseys were just fine. I liked the classic "A" on the chest and the road "Arizona" script. Literally all they had to do was replace the purple/teal and leave everything else alone and it would have been fine.

The funny thing is, when they wore the throwbacks last season and the tv came back from commercial and in the first instant I saw the uni's I knew exactly what team it was; I can't say the same now because the color-scheme with the predominant red is so generic that it could be a number of teams. I'm embarrassed, but I'm starting to think a return to the original unis with a slightly modified color scheme would be the best. F it, bring back the unique purple. If it was good enough to win a world series in, it's good enough now. But keep the red/sand/black in the back-pocket for when it's time to change up the purple again...

I think we can all agree that the original script for the jerseys and the simple "A" on the chest were just fine. I go back/forth between the red/purple. Purple is a joke color for a team, but at least it was our joke color… :)

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:43 pm 

How about something with copper and teal?

Of course, that would be in terms of copper and teal... ;)

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:45 am 

I think we can all agree that the selection of teal as the complimentary color for the local MLB team was one of the 3 or 4 worst things to ever happen to the people of Arizona. ;)

Page 10 of 10 [ 186 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News