Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 1 of 4 [ 80 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Kirk Gibson
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm 

I couldn't really find an appropriate thread, but what in the world? Bobby Valentine got snippy on WEEI about Buster Olney saying the clubhouse hates him, then starts throwing bombs and Gibby and a handful of other managers:

Quote:
"What are your thoughts on Buster Olney's comment to WEEI saying that there is a lot of discontent in the Boston Red Sox locker room towards the manager?
"He's also discontent that I wouldn't go on the show with him when he does Sunday Night Baseball and he's crying a little here because I wouldn't let him interview me in the fourth inning. So, we have to understand the source here. I understand Buster. He's really a hard-working guy. He's so hard-working he's always on these talk shows that he has to make sure he's gathering information for you guys. Who gives a darn what he says about that situation? Why don't we hear about Kirk Gibson and how many of the players don't like him or about Jim Leyland and who's upset with Jim Leyland's pitching moves? This is absolutely ridiculous, but I think it's good drama so let's keep the ball rolling and maybe it will get Buster more air time. That gets him more tweets and that's how he gets paid."

http://deadspin.com/5931407/?utm_campai ... socialflow

The team seems to be responding and playing well under him, so either that seems unsubstantiated to highest degree and he's trying to feint in a really immature way or it's true and players are doing their thing despite him. Either way, I'm not sure I'd trade much as it stands.

Post subject: Re: Kirk Gibson
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:12 pm 

I think Gibson is the type of manager whose style could wear thin rather quickly with today's players. I actually think a manager like Bob Melvin might be more in tune with the young players playing today. He got a lot out of the 2007 Dbacks and he's getting a lot out of this year's A's.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm 

dbackfanron wrote:
I think Gibson is the type of manager whose style could wear thin rather quickly with today's players. I actually think a manager like Bob Melvin might be more in tune with the young players playing today. He got a lot out of the 2007 Dbacks and he's getting a lot out of this year's A's.

Going to be interesting to see how things play out the next couple of years with that. We have a history of having a manager whose style wore thin on players after a while.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:27 pm 

I'm sure Bobby Cox wasn't always liked in the Braves' clubhouse. But, you know, if you win it helps with the buy-in not only in the clubhouse, but in the organization and stands. I'd much rather have a no-nonsense Gibby willing to call out players today when needed than a manager who worries about how he's received by the players. Just do your ****ing job.

As for Valentine's comment on Gibby, I can only recall one incident recently where Kirk Gibson didn't want to participate in some LA Dodger event because he didn't think it was right since he's a Diamondback. Would that be enough to get other managers or clubs in a tizzy, or is Valentine just an a$$clown? I'd bet the latter.

What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 pm 

Casey Stengel said a manger's job was to keep the 10 players who hated him away from the 15 who were not sure.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:43 pm 

stu wrote:
Casey Stengel said a manger's job was to keep the 10 players who hated him away from the 15 who were not sure.

:lol:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:06 pm 

Isnt it nice to have a guy that used to know casey stenal on the board :P

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm 

shoewizard wrote:

First name basis... no less 8-)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:38 pm 

moviegeekjn wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

First name basis... no less 8-)

Nah. Earl I am on a first name basis.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:49 pm 

Got this gem from SABR today. Before the 1988 World Series, advance scout Mel Didier told Los Angeles Dodgers hitters to expect a backdoor slider from Oakland A's closer Dennis Eckersley if they ever reached a full count on him. Kirk Gibson remembered that report when he faced Eckersley in Game 1... and you know the rest! SABR member Rob Neyer calls Didier's report "the greatest scouting report of all time."

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm 

"Partner, sure as I'm standing here breathing, you're going to see a 3-2 backdoor slider."

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:26 pm 

Apparently, before they were known as closers, they were known as stopped.

Or, in the case of guys who blow saves in big situations, simply known as Bells.

2013: #Grit > #Power + #Strikeouts
2014: #Grit < #Power + #Strikeouts
2015: Y = ???
2016: X = #Profit
2017: #Hall = #Commissioner

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:31 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
"Partner, sure as I'm standing here breathing, you're going to see a 3-2 backdoor slider."

The wounded warrior would have looked really stupid if they had enough brains to throw something else to him.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:45 pm 

And so would Bobby Thomson if they weren't stealing signs...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:39 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
And so would Bobby Thomson if they weren't stealing signs...

And Ralph Branca would never have known how much fame he missed.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:40 am 

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... 19734305=1
Quote:
When Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland stepped down after the playoffs, Gibson seemed like the ideal replacement. He’s the ultimate Michigan man who has a 1,500-acre ranch back home, who has covered most of the state “via horse, snowmobile, my ’79 Blazer, my airplane with pontoons on it or my 50-foot boat that I went sailing on for 51 days during the strike in 1981.”

He is beloved in Michigan the way Mike Ditka fits the Chicago archetype, the way Bill Cowher once symbolized Pittsburgh. And after the Diamondbacks chose not to exercise a pair of team options on Gibson after the 2013 season, he had no reason to show any loyalty to Arizona.

Yet Gibson took himself out of contention before his candidacy could sprout. He didn’t even feign interest to force the Diamondbacks into giving him something of value, namely a contract extension.

That is not normal behavior.

“It is normal … for me,” Gibson said. “I love what I do. I love who I work for. I love the city. I love the fans. I have a great relationship with the fans. One of the first things we did when I got here was bring the organization together. I remember when I first took over and the guys used to say, ‘F the fans.’ We had to change that. But this (current) group of players is good, and they get it. They’re people you want to share with.”

Gibson added that the culture of the Diamondbacks trumped the idea of a homecoming in Detroit, which is a powerful testament to the franchise.

“I’ll give you an example,” Gibson said. “Look at the guys who went down (on a goodwill tour of) Australia for us. Why did they do it? It’s who we are. It’s who the Diamondbacks are. We’re committed to the game of baseball. We’re committed to the community. I’ll put our organization up against anybody’s in terms of doing the right thing.

“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”

Consider the latter another log on the rivalry fire with the Dodgers, who partied in the Chase Field pool after clinching the NL West, who will face the Diamondbacks in Sydney to start next season.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:58 pm 

Man, that quote should be trumpeted in all the Sydney sports pages to "win the crowd" over to the D Backs side .

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:46 pm 

TAP wrote:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/20131120kirk-gibson-fired-up-envisions-title-run-arizona-diamondbacks.html?sf19734305=1
Quote:
“We had Goldy go down there, along with Patrick Corbin and Derrick Hall, our president and CEO. Who’s the other team got down there? Are they too (expletive) good? Honestly?”

Consider the latter another log on the rivalry fire with the Dodgers, who partied in the Chase Field pool after clinching the NL West, who will face the Diamondbacks in Sydney to start next season.

Gibson should have gone all Pedro Martinez on Ellis: "Who the F##K are you, AJ Ellis?"

2013: #Grit > #Power + #Strikeouts
2014: #Grit < #Power + #Strikeouts
2015: Y = ???
2016: X = #Profit
2017: #Hall = #Commissioner

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 am 

Any truth to the rumor that he was NOT on flight to SD?

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:02 am 

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
Any truth to the rumor that he was NOT on flight to SD?

Where'd you hear this information at?

Page 1 of 4 [ 80 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News