Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 1 of 38 [ 745 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next

Post subject: Daron Sutton
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 pm 

Maybe a thread on this?

EDIT: DHall tweeted me back and said there's no truth to the article below. Still, this whole situation is weird..so continue on

Suspended indefinitely. No confirmed reason yet, but I saw this article -- I know, I know, Bleacher Report, but someone else (I think stu) brought up the same potential reason in the game thread from tonight:

Quote:
By Shaun M Church --

According to a source close to the situation, Sutton had been critical on the air of team management for failing to bring up top prospect RHP Trevor Bauer from Triple-A Reno. The team called a meeting with Sutton, where he voiced his opinion that Bauer should be with the team, and that he would stand by that opinion.

Someone then apparently told him he was a “nobody,” and should keep his opinions to himself.

Sutton followed that by telling managing partner Ken Kendrick what he thought of the job he is doing with the franchise, at which point he was told he would be suspended indefinitely.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1233 ... cast-booth

I don't recall Sutton ever calling out management on-air. I know he liked to talk about Bauer a lot and hint at him coming up soon, but direct/indirect jabs at the FO?

Post subject: Re: Daron Sutton
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 am 

It was a much better source, Shadow. But he does not say exactly what was said and I don't think it matches the article. Shadow said

"Boss who makes dumb statement has nothing happen.

Guy who makes fun of dumb statement gets screwed."

I had never thought of Sutton as being outspoken, but then I generally just watch without sound.

I admit to being very curious and hope it is not something terribly wrong with Sutton or his family. To get fired or suspended over bs is bad, but there are other jobs. There is just one family.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:29 am 

The Dodgers could use a play-by-play man to replace Vin Scully, or at least do the road games which Vin doesn't do. Also, the Padres' Dick Enberg has to be close to retirement and they've got a new long term deal with Fox Sports San Diego. Sutton would work well with Mark Grant.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 am 

Chris24YoungFan wrote:
EDIT: DHall tweeted me back and said there's no truth to the article below. Still, this whole situation is weird..so continue on

That's exactly what they say when there's at least *some* truth to it.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:36 am 

dirtygary wrote:
Chris24YoungFan wrote:

That's exactly what they say when there's at least *some* truth to it.

DHall isn't one to really tell half-truths. I'd generally take his word at face value.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 am 

DH is expected to cover his boss's and the organization's ass, so I'm not sure there isn't at least some truth to the article.

With Kendrick's antics, I wouldn't be surprised to see people jumping ship this off-season.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:07 am 

I like DSut.

He won me over when "lazy" lopez would NEVER run out ground balls and i would scream about it here. DSut would say things like

"lopez uninterested in running through the bag" or "lopez not even making it to first on that grounder".

Ways to point the shitty play in your face, but doing it in a way not to draw to much attention to it.

That takes guts when you work with a guy and have to travel with him and still say what needs to be said. Good or bad.

Not easy to do, ask steve stone

Also, afew yrs back during a cards game he was really talking about poo-hose and i was riding him about this durong the GDT. when i met him at citi field i apologized for my terrible comments (yes out of line) and he said "no problem, i love that site. The banter reminds me of a lockerroom. He was also nice to my wife, and than we chatted for a little bit he didnt have to do that and accept what i had to say. On a side note before he came over to me (he saw me in a dbacks jersey) he saw a guy in a grace jersey and talked to him and than introduced him to gracie. May even got him an autograph.

I personally really like him as a person and a broadcaster

I hope this is not the reason, what ever it is, i hope his family and he is in good health and will make it back.

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 am 

I'm with Stu on what Shadow said. He hinted at something, and it seemed more like it had to do with Towers' "for a Caucasian" comment if we were putting two and two together. Anything written on the bleacher report is worth less than zero. Even if it's correct, it's probably more blind squirrel finding a nut than any legitimate reporting just because of the outlet.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:21 am 

Agreed on Bleacher Report. Just thought it was interesting that the article matched up with an assumption on here (sort of).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:44 am 

Guitar Salad wrote:
I'm with Stu on what Shadow said. He hinted at something, and it seemed more like it had to do with Towers' "for a Caucasian" comment if we were putting two and two together. Anything written on the bleacher report is worth less than zero. Even if it's correct, it's probably more blind squirrel finding a nut than any legitimate reporting just because of the outlet.

Fill me in on "Towers' 'for a Caucasian' comment".

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 am 

What did Sutton say about towers's 'for a Caucasian' comment?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 am 

dbackfanron wrote:
Guitar Salad wrote:

Fill me in on "Towers' 'for a Caucasian' comment".

Towers said that McDonald had a quick release for a Caucasian". I don't know what Sutton said about this comment.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:21 am 

Stu summed it up. Here's the link to the gameday thread where it was first discussed. You'll also find a link to the audio there. I don't know if anyone knows that this is what Shadow was talking about, but it's the most logical. I haven't been able to watch much of the games lately, so I don't know if Sutton's comments were on air or about the "for a Caucasian" line at all.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:16 pm 

Listening to Towers' comments I was waiting for him to say that Johnny Mac makes great fried chicken too. Must be close friends with Fuzzy Zoeller. What a dirt bag. Interesting that the Dbacks may have two racists in the FO; Towers and Kendrick (avid supporter of SB 1070).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 pm 

I hope he is ok and I also hope he is not suspended for criticizing management. What ever the reason is we should be told.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:36 pm 

Sutton won;t be going with the D-Backs on their upcoming road trip -

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/new ... i&c_id=ari

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:37 pm 

This whole situation is pretty weird. I mean, silencing the voice of the team for some criticism? That's a stretch. I will assume most of this had to happen behind the scenes if there is indeed controversy involved. But until the actual situation is unveiled, we are only left to our imaginations.

Add that to the "meeting" Trevor Bauer had to have, which Nick Piecoro's sources said was regarding his "outspokenness", I mean c'mon...

Since when did the Dbacks hire Joe McCarthy? Is nobody allowed to say anything?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:45 pm 

:
Baldmaga wrote:
This whole situation is pretty weird. I mean, silencing the voice of the team for some criticism? That's a stretch. I will assume most of this had to happen behind the scenes if there is indeed controversy involved. But until the actual situation is unveiled, we are only left to our imaginations.

Add that to the "meeting" Trevor Bauer had to have, which Nick Piecoro's sources said was regarding his "outspokenness", I mean c'mon...

Since when did the Dbacks hire Joe McCarthy? Is nobody allowed to say anything?

Joe was a pretty good manager. :D

http://www.baseball-reference.com/manag ... jo99.shtml

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:55 pm 

stu wrote:
Towers said that McDonald had a quick release for a Caucasian". I don't know what Sutton said about this comment.

I didn't hear it, but is it possible that KT was tryin to be nice and JMcD does have a quick release... for a white guy...? ;)

Was Joe McDonald offended in any way by the comments? Or is every caucasian in the world entitled to feel offended by that comment because it is racist to insinuate that caucasian shortstops generally have very slow releases?

Sounds like the whole group is behaving like oversensitive children - which started at the top. Hopefully the FO can begin to behave like adults at some point.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:07 pm 

I have no idea. I was just relating what was said. I am not even sure Towers knows what groups are included in "Caucasian".

Page 1 of 38 [ 745 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News