Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Jd Martinez to the dbacks
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm 

I would hardly call any of the three prospects, more like fillers.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 pm 

TheDesertSurfer wrote:
Give up three prospects for a guy who doesn't know how to get his hands out of the way
:roll:

Look at the bright side, Hazen convinced KK to increase the payroll.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 pm 

J.D. Martinez interested in sticking around long term

Whether J.D. stays or goes in 2018 is 100% up to Ken Kendrick. 11 players are eligible for salary arbitration, and Zack Greinke ($34 million), Yasmany Tomas ($13.5 million), and Paul Goldschmidt ($11 million) are under contract. It's hard to fathom Yasmany Tomas' salary is greater than Paul Goldschmidt's.

“I’ve thought about it a lot. It’s definitely something I’d love, I’d be interested in. I’ve loved my time here. The guys are great. The team is young. They’re definitely going to be good for a while. I think one of the most important things in my free agency is I want to be on a team that’s relevant -- a team that’s good, a team that’s in it. I don’t want to be on a team just because (they offer the most money). I want to be on a team that’s got a chance. That’s what’s fun. That’s what you play the game for. I’ve lost a lot. I’m tired of it. It’s not fun. It’s fun coming to the ballpark when you’re winning.”
- J.D. Martinez

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm 

Eric Byrnes... :shock:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:14 pm 

EvilJuan wrote:

EB - lifetime 94 OPS+ (99 OPS+ at time of re-signing)
JD - lifetime 128 OPS+ (147 OPS+ from 2014 - 2017)

EB was also 2 years older when re-signed (31 versus 29). Night and day different players IMO.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:33 pm 

TAP wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:

EB - lifetime 94 OPS+ (99 OPS+ at time of re-signing)
JD - lifetime 128 OPS+ (147 OPS+ from 2014 - 2017)

EB was also 2 years older when re-signed (31 versus 29). Night and day different players IMO.

If resigning JDM is on the table for the FO, the approach you've taken is a better way to go, as opposed to one exemplary season and the deception of "hustle." If the numbers work, go for it!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm 

Matt Layman / arizonasports.com: Despite there being no salary cap in MLB, Hazen’s club is obligated to pay the final four years of Zack Greinke’s 6-year, $206.5 million contract. Perennial All-Star and MVP candidate Paul Goldschmidt is due a pay day when his bargain contract expires after next season.

A.J. Pollock is signed through this season and is arbitration-eligible in 2018. The same is true for Robbie Ray.

But with Martinez’s outstanding numbers and apparent comfort-level with the D-backs, maybe Hazen and the ownership’s wallet will come together to make something work. The Mets did that for Yoenis Cespedes after acquiring what they believed would only be a rental in 2016. Cespedes eventually got a four-year, $110 million contract from the Mets.

“We’re fortunate to have [Martinez],” Hazen said. “He’s certainly carried us here offensively for the better part of a couple months now. It’s pretty amazing, pretty impressive what he’s done. His consistency in the middle of the lineup is something we needed, and hopefully it continues.”

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm 

also seems like a pretty stand-up dude.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:56 pm 

wedge wrote:
also seems like a pretty stand-up dude.

This.

2014: What a joke; Team. Manager. GM. CEO. Cindy Brunson. Todd Walsh. Steve Berthiaume. Polo shirts. Entire organization. I want to insert that 18-inch corn dog into each one of their a$$es...slowly. Then re-sell the corn dogs to Dodger fans.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm 

TAP wrote:
Matt Layman / arizonasports.com: Despite there being no salary cap in MLB, Hazen’s club is obligated to pay the final four years of Zack Greinke’s 6-year, $206.5 million contract. Perennial All-Star and MVP candidate Paul Goldschmidt is due a pay day when his bargain contract expires after next season.

A.J. Pollock is signed through this season and is arbitration-eligible in 2018. The same is true for Robbie Ray.

But with Martinez’s outstanding numbers and apparent comfort-level with the D-backs, maybe Hazen and the ownership’s wallet will come together to make something work. The Mets did that for Yoenis Cespedes after acquiring what they believed would only be a rental in 2016. Cespedes eventually got a four-year, $110 million contract from the Mets.

“We’re fortunate to have [Martinez],” Hazen said. “He’s certainly carried us here offensively for the better part of a couple months now. It’s pretty amazing, pretty impressive what he’s done. His consistency in the middle of the lineup is something we needed, and hopefully it continues.”

""Paul Goldschmidt is due a pay day when his bargain contract expires after next season.""

Bit of an error in the article there. D Backs hold a team option on Goldy for 2019, Just 14M, which they will surely exercise so in reality they control him for 2 more years, through 2019 not just one. He will be 32 in 2020 for his first free agent year.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 pm 

And Pavin Smith will be 24 just before the start of the 2020 season and more than likely will have completed a year at AA, at a minimum. Dbacks bid adieu to Goldschmidt after the 2019 season. Also, the Dbacks already have their Larry Fitzgerald/Shane Doan in Luis Gonzalez.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm 

Smith will need to hit with A LOT more power going forward to be a viable option at first base.

By a lot, I mean more than the ZERO homers he hit at age 21 in rookie ball

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm 

Maybe Kevin Cron becomes a viable option at first in the next couple years.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 pm 

He grades out at 55 for power. He hit 10 HRs in 43 AB's this season for Virginia in a very pitcher friendly park. Will that translate to 25-30 HR at MLB level? With half of his games at Chase, I would think yes. Time will tell. I would rather gamble on him being very productive, including power, vs. Goldschmidt producing enough to justify $25M+ each season at age 33-36.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

dbackfanron wrote:
He grades out at 55 for power. He hit 10 HRs in 43 AB's this season for Virginia in a very pitcher friendly park. Will that translate to 25-30 HR at MLB level? With half of his games at Chase, I would think yes. Time will tell. I would rather gamble on him being very productive, including power, vs. Goldschmidt producing enough to justify $25M+ each season at age 33-36.

They may not have a choice, but he is a lot more likely to have something like a Casey Kotchman career. The Zero HR in over 200 PA in rookie ball a far more telling sample size about his power potential. He was 21 this year, out of college, not a skinny 18 yr old high school senior.

Never say never. I don't have crystal ball. he could develop a lot more power than I think he will. But I'll need to see big improvement in this area next year to believe it.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:46 pm 

Yeah, I'm more interested in seeing what he does next year to get a better idea of what he might do long term.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:49 pm 

Did they use wood or metal bats when he was in college?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:15 pm 

Probably metal, but most elite players have played in leagues (summer) where they've used wood bats.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Smith will need to hit with A LOT more power going forward to be a viable option at first base.

By a lot, I mean more than the ZERO homers he hit at age 21 in rookie ball

He did 1 in the playoffs Shoe ;) But yes a 1st baseman with no power is a big problem.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:15 am 

It wasn't just homers for Pavin -- his slugging in Rookie ball was barely over .400 -- ISO less than .100.

Probably doesn't have another position in him -- this is why you don't typically draft true 1b unless you know they have the bat.

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News