Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News

Page 79 of 86 [ 1709 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 86  Next

Post subject: Re: The Chase experience and attendance
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:35 pm 

Chase field won't be major league quality but we have dumps like Fenway still out there? Makes sense.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:02 am 

I am not a huge fan of Chase field. Despite my home team/favorite team playing there it definitely doesn't feel special. But given the challenges of housing a team in Phoenix during the summer it seems to be a doing fine.

I don't go to many games, none so far this year, am i missing something about the condition of the stadium. I went late last year and it seemed fine. I made point to walk around pretty much the entire concourse. I was expecting to see areas that were partitioned off as dangerous/needing repairs or obvious mechanical issues, it looks pretty great from a fans perspective. Granted it a very low attendance game so perhaps that hides issues. I remember going to Tiger stadium several years before it was replaced, and Sun devil stadium when the it still was the home of the Cards. Those places are what I picture when the team describes issues of the chase field. The A's are still at the Coliseum how does Chase in 2017 compare to the Oakland Coliseum even 10 years ago?

Is the team moving to a different market a legitimate concern? The team did just recently sign a 20 year tv deal for 1.5 billion dollars. Seems like a good reason to keep a team in this market if that is what the tv rights are worth and does that deal lock them in this market?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:25 am 

I think the chances of leaving this market are extremely remote

MLB Wants a team in this market. That is most definite

And as you state, the TV deal is both an enticement to stay, and most likely an impediment to leaving.

I think it WOULD be very helpful for the public to have a detailed look at just what the issues are that need such urgent attention, either now, or in the short term future. Maybe that's already out there, but I haven't seen it.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:02 am 

It's BS legal mumbo-jumbo to try to get their way financially. There's nothing wrong with Chase Field structurally and no repairs are needed beyond normal upkeep of a 20 year-old stadium. The advances in constructing stadiums 20 years ago were light years ahead of stadiums built in the 50's and earlier. The Braves just did this exact thing. The team doesn't like their lack of control or the location, so they're crying wolf. It'd be a shame if they succeed in getting their way on this if even one cent of public money is used.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:25 am 

Oden wrote:
It's BS legal mumbo-jumbo to try to get their way financially. There's nothing wrong with Chase Field structurally and no repairs are needed beyond normal upkeep of a 20 year-old stadium. The advances in constructing stadiums 20 years ago were light years ahead of stadiums built in the 50's and earlier. The Braves just did this exact thing. The team doesn't like their lack of control or the location, so they're crying wolf. It'd be a shame if they succeed in getting their way on this if even one cent of public money is used.

I don't disagree here. From the very very beginning of this saga I've always felt it was all posturing by the team so they can get out of the lease and move to a Stadium built on Tribal Land.

However, one minor counterpoint from Dan Bickley's article the other day

Quote:
Their soaring wealth only muddles the picture, making the $187 million repair bill seem obscene. How could the stadium be falling apart so quickly?

One theory is that the massive weight of the retractable roof caused far more stress on the infrastructure than anyone could’ve anticipated, especially for a stadium located adjacent to railroad tracks.

I was just there with you the other night. The place looks fine to me. BUT if there is anything truly structurally wrong with the place that isn't obvious to us fans walking around the building, I'd like to know. I wish for transparency.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:39 am 

From February 2016

shoewizard wrote:
D Backs making a push for a new stadium

Quote:
PHOENIX (KSAZ) - The capacity for Chase Field is just over 48,500 fans, but the boss of the D-Backs says that's too big.

"There has been a lot of speculation over the years and that is because our building is too big," Arizona Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall said, on the "Doug and Wolf Show" on Arizona Sports 98.7. "I mean, to have nearly 50,000 capacity for this market is too much and at the time, I understand why we built it that way. Coors Field had just opened, it was that large and filled up each game. It is hard to believe we will be the fourth-oldest facility in the league."

I've linked this article before too

They've wanted out from the beginning. They've just been making excuses. However there is perhaps the smallest of chances their complaint is legit. Should not be THAT hard to get to the bottom of it.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:27 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Oden wrote:

I don't disagree here. From the very very beginning of this saga I've always felt it was all posturing by the team so they can get out of the lease and move to a Stadium built on Tribal Land.

However, one minor counterpoint from Dan Bickley's article the other day

Quote:
Their soaring wealth only muddles the picture, making the $187 million repair bill seem obscene. How could the stadium be falling apart so quickly?

One theory is that the massive weight of the retractable roof caused far more stress on the infrastructure than anyone could’ve anticipated, especially for a stadium located adjacent to railroad tracks.

I was just there with you the other night. The place looks fine to me. BUT if there is anything truly structurally wrong with the place that isn't obvious to us fans walking around the building, I'd like to know. I wish for transparency.

The thing is that there is no "$187 million repair bill". The team has attempted to position it that way, but that's just a projection of potential repairs over the life of the stadium. The D-backs have publicly tried to make it seem like the fact that the County doesn't have $187 million in an account specifically earmarked for Chase repairs is evidence that the County cannot and will not make necessary repairs. That's a huge leap, though.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:45 am 

The City would jump in and bridge some of that, no doubt. They stand to lose the most with a relocation. Despite the very obvious violation of lease terms mandating capacity, the best move was/is to transfer control of facility to the team for free as long as they commit to the repairs and remaining there.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 am 

I think this has been brought up before, but I'm mentioning it again anyway... The county claims most of the "structural" damage was caused by the team's use of power washing after games.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /97745744/
http://www.maricopa.gov/4271/Chase-Field-Deal#14

Quote:
What is the biggest cause of concrete and structural capital repair?

Water damage from pressure washing. The original concept for the stadium did not contemplate this cleaning method. The Diamondbacks (through its facility manager) made the decision to begin power washing the stadium after games rather than using a mop and bucket method, which some other MLB teams use. As seen in the photographs on the right, this decision has had consequences. The use of pressurized water and the lack of maintenance of expansion and caulk joints, over time, has led to infiltration and corrosion.

After a 2011 assessment began to reveal the extent of this water damage, the District, in partnership with the Diamondbacks, took a proactive approach in prioritizing fixes that not only mitigate damage but ensure the structural integrity of Chase Field for decades.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 pm 

First I've heard of it. Either incompetence, or a good way to shorten the life of the structure.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:59 am 

ReTired wrote:
First I've heard of it. Either incompetence, or a good way to shorten the life of the structure.

I'm guessing it was nothing more than the cheapest option to power wash after games than use the old mop/bucket. A few people drag those big hoses to the top row and start spraying until they've worked all the debris to the bottom row where it's collected for disposal is way cheaper than a team with mops and brooms wiping every square inch of those seats.

The County claims that at least one other team in baseball used the mop/bucket (perhaps the oldest Wrigley/Fenway combo) cleaning method at the time of ChaseField/BOB construction, which isn't wrong, but even back then it shouldn't have required much foresight to assume the Club would select the most timely and cost-effective cleaning method.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:59 am 

dirtygary wrote:
ReTired wrote:

I'm guessing it was nothing more than the cheapest option to power wash after games than use the old mop/bucket. A few people drag those big hoses to the top row and start spraying until they've worked all the debris to the bottom row where it's collected for disposal is way cheaper than a team with mops and brooms wiping every square inch of those seats.

The County claims that at least one other team in baseball used the mop/bucket (perhaps the oldest Wrigley/Fenway combo) cleaning method at the time of ChaseField/BOB construction, which isn't wrong, but even back then it shouldn't have required much foresight to assume the Club would select the most timely and cost-effective cleaning method.

But if that method wasn't part of the original spec, its consequences on a steel and concrete structure shouldn't be surprising. As for cost, if it really was cost effective they should have saved enough to pay for the damage done.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:13 pm 

I'm no legal expert, but unless it was written in the original contract that the club use mops instead of spraying, there is no argument there.

I'm annoyed at the fact that the commissioner decided to comment on our stadium that it might not be MLB standard, when we have dumps like Fenway out there like someone else mentioned. Unless there is a real issue with structural integrity, and is a hazard to people attending games, this whole issue annoys me. And that's putting it lightly.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:01 am 

awfulwaffle wrote:
I'm no legal expert, but unless it was written in the original contract that the club use mops instead of spraying, there is no argument there.

I'm annoyed at the fact that the commissioner decided to comment on our stadium that it might not be MLB standard, when we have dumps like Fenway out there like someone else mentioned. Unless there is a real issue with structural integrity, and is a hazard to people attending games, this whole issue annoys me. And that's putting it lightly.

If the argument is about repair costs, the team's choice of maintenance procedure could be a factor in determine responsibility for that cost. All power washing is not the same, and there are known limitations about where and how it should be used.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 am 

The MLB Ballpark app is handy when looking to move up to better available seats. There is an "Upgrade My Seats" feature you can access during the game which shows other seats in the stadium that are available to upgrade to. I look for sections with multiple options and then go sit in one of them. Haven't had anybody kick me out of the "new" seats yet. Most recently at Astros game last Thursday (afternoon getaway game), I informally upgraded from upper deck seats by foul pole to lower level behind home looking straight down the 1st-Base line. Saw CarlosCorrea hit a pair of homers. And the app gives you coupons for future ticket purchases when you "check in" to a ballpark.

Also, the dbax are one of only 4-5 clubs that don't have a Ballpark App stadium icon to feature on your homescreen. The majority of them are lame corporate logos, but there are a few logos for the iconic stadiums that are really cool.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
Also, the dbax are one of only 4-5 clubs that don't have a Ballpark App stadium icon to feature on your homescreen.

The dbax and A's are the ONLY teams that don't offer a team/stadium-specific icon on the MLB Ballpark App.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:32 pm 

Could MLB move Diamondbacks over stadium conditions? Team suggests 'yes'

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:18 am 

misterx wrote:

From the linked article:
Quote:
Moseley pointed to contracts outlining the team's responsibility for the chiller system and questioned why Diamondbacks officials did not notify the county about the flooding, bring the issue up at a facilities meeting, or request payment for repairs if the team believes the county is on the hook.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 am 

The way the team is handling this is pretty infuriating, and I really don't have a horse in the race.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:04 pm 

I think the absolute worst is that they've now decided to hold the fans hostage over this dispute while painting the ballpark as a dump. It's not, and threatening to move the team out of Arizona outright (to where do they think is better?) is just ludicrous. This same tactic hasn't worked for Oakland, and really all it's done is burned up almost all their goodwill here.

Page 79 of 86 [ 1709 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 86  Next

Board index » AZ Diamondbacks » Team News