Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Site info » Site Info

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: MySQL errors
 Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

You may be seeing intermittent MySQL connection issues here of late. It looks like we are hitting the maximum number of simultaneous connections for the database. I suspect a good part of the reason for this is the size of the database: we're just shy of 390,000 posts and about 4.5 million words in the word match table. [update: I've also disabled search access for guest users. No real reason they should be doing that. And blocked some Russian and Chinese search-engine spiders. S'ok, shoe, not blocked all Chinese IP addresses!]

As a first step, I'll be doing some late-night optimization of the tables, and also looking at slowing down search engine crawlers like Bing and Google, as they can seriously hammer a site by making a lot of simultaneous connections. That may help speed things up and reduce the load. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it'll probably be time for a "reset". Long-time members may remember, we did this in July 2010: moving the current forum and all its contents to an "archive" subdomain, freezing it, and then opening up a new, fresh board.

Stay tuned...

Post subject: Re: MySQL errors
 Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 pm 

Thank you for all you do. (and AOG)

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm 

During the current GDT, all other forums seem to be fine, nut I keep getting this error when clicking on the GDT forum over the last 20 minutes or so.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 am 

So it looks like the issue is with Google Chrome right now.

I can access site with my iPhone and ipad no problem. And I am using Internet Explorer on m laptop right now to access site and type this message.

However when I use my Chrome browser on my laptop, I get SQL error and cannot access site.

Justin was saying he could get in on his phone but not his laptop.

Justin if you happen to see this, please let us know what Browser you are using.

Thanks
Shoe

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:49 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Justin was saying he could get in on his phone but not his laptop.

Justin if you happen to see this, please let us know what Browser you are using.

Thanks
Shoe

I use Chrome. I have Firefox too, but never use it and didn't think to test it. The strange thing is the phone/desktop thing only lasted 2 or 3 days. I am typing this on the computer.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Site info » Site Info