Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Anything goes

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Gay Marriage in AZ
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:27 pm 

Yes, but the comparison of gay rights, and attempts to eradicate all things opposed to it, with skin color is completely false, and misleading. One is a behavior, plain and simple, the other a physical trait that individuals have absolutely no control over.

We can sit back and let history be the judge of our choices, and let our children pay the price of our inaction, or we can listen to the voice of reason and do what we can to make this a better place. All change is not good, redefining words does not create equality, or dignity, and branding those who dare express a contrary opinion on a controversial subject with a Scarlet "B" is not democracy.

I don't agree with a lot of what Scalia does, or says, but I think he's 99% correct on this one.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:11 pm 

ReTired wrote:
One is a behavior, plain and simple, the other a physical trait that individuals have absolutely no control over.

This is the fundamental misunderstanding on your part. Sexual orientation (and gender identity) aren't just switches that you can flip.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 pm 

matt wrote:
ReTired wrote:
One is a behavior, plain and simple, the other a physical trait that individuals have absolutely no control over.

This is the fundamental misunderstanding on your part. Sexual orientation (and gender identity) aren't just switches that you can flip.

No misunderstanding on my part. Skin color is not a choice, unlike advertising bedroom behavior. One may not care for the company of the opposite sex, for whatever reason, but unlike animals we have the ability to control sexual behavior. As for gender identity, let's not go there now, except to point out that Caitlyn's attempt at incomplete transformation says a lot about conventional wisdom about that problem.

The issue is not with homosexuals, who have the right to do what they want in private, it with those who would try shove it down one's as being "equal", in spite of that being a physical impossibility. And if the debate is really about love, sexual activity should not be an absolute requirement.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:33 am 

ReTired wrote:
Skin color is not a choice, unlike advertising bedroom behavior.

Hilarious. "Advertising".

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 am 

And we're done here. You have no problem with gay people except for all that gay stuff. Great.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:46 am 

matt wrote:
You have no problem with gay people except for all that gay stuff. Great.

Hahaha… I was thinking the same thing… Just stop being who you are and we'll all get along fine...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:54 am 

ReTired wrote:
We can sit back and let history be the judge of our choices, and let our children pay the price of our inaction, or we can listen to the voice of reason and do what we can to make this a better place. All change is not good, redefining words does not create equality, or dignity, and branding those who dare express a contrary opinion on a controversial subject with a Scarlet "B" is not democracy.

This interests me. Please expand on this "Voice of Reason" we should be listening to?

And just like all change is not good, neither are all traditions. In fact, if we continued with traditions for the sake of continuing with tradition, I'd say this world would be a far worse place.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:20 pm 

I doubt that an attempt to expand on a figure of speech would do anyone any good. As for traditions I agree that not all are good, but that has absolutely nothing to do with marriage.

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Off-topic » Anything goes