Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Anything goes

Page 2 of 2 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Moving to Nepal
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:37 pm 

tucsondbacksfan wrote:
Saw your posting on FB about your new venture in Katmandu. How great! I wish you evey success! So does that mean you will be there year round?

Thanks...
Not at this point. But keeping door open...must see how things develop (last trip with bout with pneumonia also a factor).

I've supplied the initial capital and am in regular communication with partner and offer advice from time to time. Nepal is vastly different terrain when it comes to business & financial matters--my partner is much better equipped to handle these hurdles, and hotel management is his specialty. Signs are encouraging now, but must be patient to see how things go.

Note: I am in a position where I do not have to rely on anything I've invested in Nepal. I can maintain present lifestyle in Arizona comfortably, continue to follow MLB easily, and travel around the world. If not practical to move to Nepal, it will be a regular travel destination.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:46 am 

Sounds like a great situation. Yes there are many differences in the way other countries do business from legalities to cultural norms. You are fortunate to have a partner who is a national there to navigate those issues.
If that part of the world ever makes our bucket list, I will certainly contact you!
Good for you! :D

"There's NO Crying in Baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 pm 

just checking to see if our fav movie guy is ok after what happen in Nepal

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 pm 

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
just checking to see if our fav movie guy is ok after what happen in Nepal

from fb

Person
I hope your friends are safe in Nepal today. You're currently in Arizona now, right?

movie
Yes...in Arizona...I've not seen Nepal news--guessing another disaster trekking?? Most of my friends are in Kathmandu and Nala at monastery, so not close to trekking areas

movie
I saw earthquake news. Called my partner. Much damage in Kathmandu, and our hotel was also badly damaged... .My partner is alive and safe but naturally very upset right now. I was relieved to be able to get through to him via phone though it was bad connection.

movie
Was able to reach one of the monks at DSL monastery. They are all ok and safe, but the top of the monastery was damaged. Some phone connections to Nepal are open but quality now bad... My partner thinks all WiFi is down in Kathmandu, so may not see online posts for a while

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:02 pm 

Thanks justin.... Tell movie, im thinking of him

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:41 pm 

John,
Posted on FB a reply. Please let us know all is okay. Praying for your and your partner's peace of mind in the midst of all the devastation and confusion.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:46 pm 

John gave me permission to post what he wrote on FB tonight. He says he will stop by the board in the morning if able.

Quote:
Friends and family ...many of you know that my "second home" is Nepal and I have many close friends who are like family to me. My brother & hotel partner comes from village of Nuwakot, which was close to epicenter of earthquake. They are suffering extremely badly and aid has NOT reached them--organizations going through Nepal government may NEVER reach them... My partner will be going to his village to help directly, so I will be sending some funds to him in the next few days--anyone who wants to contribute can PM me for information.
Otherwise, please consider helping through reputable channels that will actually serve the local people.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:06 am 

Thanks, Justin and DBBP for thoughts and prayers...
Although I've not been able to get hold of all my Nepali friends, I have been able to reach my closest friends via phone (though bad connection) and occasional Internet message service. At least I know they are alive and relatively safe. Livelihoods are badly affected.

Many appeals for international aid have gone out. I know the Red Cross has "boots on the ground" and other organizations do have some aid in the field .... but any organization that is attempting to coordinate with the Nepali government is running into roadblocks. The government is ineffective and just adds to the chaos. Many people are receiving no help.

For many... especially in the remote villages... the only help that is actually going directly to the people are coming from Nepali citizens--many are volunteering and doing what they can even without medical skills, etc.

My hotel partner (we are not even sure hotel will continue to exist at this point) is greatly concerned about his village in Nuwakot. It is close to the epicenter and has received no assistance at this point. He is gathering resources and will soon travel there to help. He has a good heart and I trust him totally.

So I will be wiring him some money... Anyone who wants to help with this particular project can PM me for information.

Also feel free to donate through official channels. I do know the Red Cross has "boots on the ground" and have heard that Mercy Corps is among better ones for Nepal assistance.

Appreciate your thoughts and prayers.... My body is safely in Arizona... and I still am watching some baseball to pass the time, but my heart remains in Nepal...and thoughts are continually over there with the friends I love. They really are sweet, good-hearted people.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:36 pm 

Sorry for the slight hijack, but I found this interesting.

Searching for Two Sisters I Photographed in Nepal

Quote:
Yesterday I shared the before-and-after photos above. The image on the left was taken on the 22nd April, 2009, almost exactly six years and one week before the image on the right. They show the same street in Bhaktapur, one of Nepal’s most historic cities, before and after last Saturday’s earthquake.

He found them alive and well. :P

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:41 pm 

Heartened to hear some positive news on NPR about Nepal--that U.S. military helicopters no longer being blocked by Nepal government and will be flying supplies to remote villages starting today!

Additionally, I feel better after phoning and chatting with close Nepal friends--my hotel partner has been able to get some supplies to his village of Nuwakot and a good friend has taken a leadership position with a youth group that is traveling to 3 remote villages today to deliver supplies. (Both are feeling so much better, knowing that they are helping people who had not been receiving assistance) Also learned that the DSL monastery I've been working with is now helping homeless villagers near Bhaktapur.

Talking with my Nepal friends I know that the Red Cross and Mercy Corps both have "boots on the ground" so donations to them should help people in need. I will continue to wire money to my friends, so they can continue to assist villagers directly with needed supplies--feel free to PM me for details.

The rebuilding is going to take much effort and resources. Infrastructure & governmental support is extremely weak/non-existent in Nepal. I do want to return to Nepal (when my partner tells me it is safe enough--he is so worried about my well being). I doubt that I will travel to another country before returning to my second "home" .. those resources are better spent helping my friends in Nepal.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:11 am 

Nepal hit by 7.3 earthquake today. Unbelievable.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg ... story.html

Quote:
ill reeling from last month’s devastating earthquake, Nepal was hammered again Tuesday by a magnitude 7.3 temblor that caused dozens more deaths, unleashed fresh landslides and brought down unsteady buildings.

By late afternoon, Nepal’s Home Affairs Ministry said at least 42 people were killed and more than 1,117 injured in the largest aftershock yet recorded from the 7.8 quake on April 25. Officials warned that the toll could rise.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:43 am 

Devastating....

I've been trying to call my friends since this second major quake, but the phone network is down/overloaded
I did get a Facebook message from one of the monks, so it sounds like my Nala monastery family (85 monks) are fine.... Though I've not spoken with my hotel partner, I did see one photo taken about a block away in Thamel area that looks like the surrounding buildings in that area are fine.... so feel a bit better that my friend/partner should be ok.

Just heard from my now homeless friend, now used to sleeping inside temp tent ... said he "has nothing to lose" so he is safe.

Last edited by moviegeekjn on Tue May 12, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:47 am 

And now the heavy monsoon rain to follow. Our thoughts are with your friends, John, and we're glad that you're here safe in Arizona.

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:17 am 

I've been in daily contact with two Nepal friends and occasional direct contact with some of the monks at the monastery (not as worried about them since they are in safer area and they take care of each other)--daily aftershocks continue (larger ones ranging between 4.2 - 5.2) so many thousands remain camped on the streets and fields in Kathmandu, lives remain disrupted, assistance still needed in many areas (with ineffective government and lack of infrastructure), and major repairs and reconstruction will not even begin until aftershocks are over (most likely starting in July).

I am listening to my friends' advice and holding off returning to Nepal--my hotel partner worries for my health and safety and says he doesn't want me sleeping on the streets like he must do now. They would spend too much time taking care of me if I was there. I have no construction skills myself and the monastery isn't having English classes yet, so I can help them more currently by finding necessary funds to send.

One thing I'm NOT doing is watching San Andreas movie. I can't even look at the trailers for it--too close to home.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:48 pm 

Jon,
I had no idea aftershocks could last that long.... Being raised in Southern California with many earthquakes, this surprises me. Yes, you need to remain here for the time being. No sense in you risking your health that wouldn't ultimately result in making that much of a difference. Once you are able to travel there, you will help in many ways. But you must be strong in order to help those who are not....
We in the US have no idea what these kinds of natural disasters are truly like to live with the aftermath once the media and international interest and help have moved on. Couple that with a inept/corrupt government and those in most need will suffer the most.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 pm 

When we had the big 7.5 earthquake in Taiwan in 99 we had aftershocks of 6.8 twice in the next 3 days, and then had over 10,000 aftershocks over the next 6 months ranging from 2 to 5.5

It was nerve wracking. Every night when I went to bed I stared at the ceiling for half an hour waiting for it to start moving. And every time you started to feel one of the 4 or 5 aftershocks, you didn't know when they started if they would be another big one or not.....so those first 10 seconds were just terrifying....much more so than the first one...because now you know better what can happen.

It sucked

Page 2 of 2 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Off-topic » Anything goes