Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Entertainment

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Moneyball (the movie)
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 am 

Just got email blurb about upcoming Toronto Film Festival that will take place Sept. 8 - 18

Among the films to premiere at the festival (this is where a number of award hopefuls open) is Moneyball. Following is blurb description:

Quote:
Moneyball
Bennett Miller, USA World Premiere

Based on a true story, Moneyball stars Brad Pitt as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A’s and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball’s conventional wisdom is wrong. Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs. The onetime jock teams with Ivy League grad Peter Brand (Jonah Hill) in an unlikely partnership, recruiting bargain players that the scouts call flawed, but all of whom have an ability to get on base, score runs, and win games. It’s more than baseball, it’s a revolution – one that challenges old school traditions and puts Beane in the crosshairs of those who say he’s tearing out the heart and soul of the game.

Post subject: Re: Moneyball (the movie)
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 am 

Really looking forward to seeing this.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 am 

matt wrote:
Really looking forward to seeing this.

x2

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:57 pm 

Review of Moneyball from Toronto newspaper (from premiere at the Toronto Festival). The review doesn't really contain spoilers...and it's a positive review (grade of B+)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 am 

Former DBACK Royce Clayton plays Miguel Tejada in the movie.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:17 pm 

anyone see this yet?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:48 pm 

I havent... still want to!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:43 pm 

i'll wait for rental... everything ive read says true baseball guys who have read the book and know the story of the team, etc will not enjoy the movie nearly as much, due to all the inaccuracies, stretches, and made up dramatization

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 pm 

Dre wrote:
i'll wait for rental... everything ive read says true baseball guys who have read the book and know the story of the team, etc will not enjoy the movie nearly as much, due to all the inaccuracies, stretches, and made up dramatization

The main thing that bothers me, is the idea that that team was a huge underdog. THey had some serious starting pitching... Zito (the good version), Mulder, Hudson, Lidle, were the top 4. Chavez, Tejada... they had a plain ol good team. It wasnt really a team of misfits.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:28 pm 

qudjy1 wrote:
Dre wrote:

The main thing that bothers me, is the idea that that team was a huge underdog. THey had some serious starting pitching... Zito (the good version), Mulder, Hudson, Lidle, were the top 4. Chavez, Tejada... they had a plain ol good team. It wasnt really a team of misfits.

That is typical for book adaptations, they always change things. The reviews of the movie are overwhelmingly positive, with a 94% rating on Rotten Tomatoes after 155 reviews.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:51 pm 

I saw Moneyball over the weekend--it exceeded my expectations. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill added enough personality and chemistry to their characters to keep things from becoming too wonkish for the average movie goer. Usually with most baseball movies, I'm sitting there picking apart the continuity issues, but I thought they really did an excellent job of research and getting the factual stuff right. I did think they downplayed the wealth of starting pitching the A's had that year (Zito and Mulder are never mentioned, and I think Hudson gets mentioned once) and instead concentrated on the story that they replaced Giambi and Damon with a non-first baseman Hatteberg and a past his prime Justice, but that's Hollywood license.

And for Diamondback fans, there's even an Eric Byrnes sighting (well, his character at least). True to form, he gets pulled from the game.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:41 am 

Not sure if it covers anything new but still a good read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... /245769/1/

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:02 pm 

TOO MUCH MONEYBALL

This really made me laugh

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
TOO MUCH MONEYBALL

This really made me laugh

Thats some funny shit. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:11 pm 

Thinking about taking my gf to see it. We've been together for about 3 years now and she's STILL getting used to baseball, anyone think I should take her to see this film?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:28 pm 

Yeah....you get to see a baseball movie, she gets to see Brad Pitt......which could pay dividends for you later.

Win Win

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:33 pm 

I saw Moneyball and absolutely loved it. I had never liked Brad Pitt before, but I gotta say he was really, really good in this one, I could see him getting an Oscar nomination out of it, and Jonah Hill, what an actor, he should get the best supporting actor nomination, his role was the most likable character in the story and Hill played it (and underplayed it) perfectly.

I don't think anyone who's not into baseball would enjoy this movie though, too much front office and inside the clubhouse stuff, no real drama in the storyline, so, I wouldn't take anyone who's not into baseball to see it, it would be a torture for them to sit through. But, it's definitely a must-see for baseball fans, especially the diehard ones.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:48 pm 

Jonah hill has done some of my favorite recent comedies. Get him to the greek was great.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm 

DBWS14 wrote:
I saw Moneyball and absolutely loved it. I had never liked Brad Pitt before, but I gotta say he was really, really good in this one, I could see him getting an Oscar nomination out of it, and Jonah Hill, what an actor, he should get the best supporting actor nomination, his role was the most likable character in the story and Hill played it (and underplayed it) perfectly.

I don't think anyone who's not into baseball would enjoy this movie though, too much front office and inside the clubhouse stuff, no real drama in the storyline, so, I wouldn't take anyone who's not into baseball to see it, it would be a torture for them to sit through. But, it's definitely a must-see for baseball fans, especially the diehard ones.

agree.... i saw it and thought it was good...

if you are going to see this expecting alot of "baseball playing" you will be disapointed...

me likey

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 am 

Don't know about you guys, but the remote always gets put down when Moneyball comes on... Even my mom liked it, and her closest baseball experience was front-row seats to the Tanque Verde Little League...

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Off-topic » Entertainment