Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Entertainment

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Sports stories
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:22 pm 

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=6161343

FANTASTIC short story written by Miguel Batista. I cried... Its short - you can probably read the story in about 20 minutes... Its worth it - trust me...

Quote:
JOSEFINA BROUGHT THE SPOON to her mouth and tasted her homemade bean sauce. "Perfect," she said to herself, before placing the spoon on the counter beside the stove and walking to the front porch. Her leather sandals flapped against the wooden floor with each step. They were her grandson's very first gift to her several years ago, and though holes had formed in the heels, she couldn't bring herself to part with them.

"Toñito! Toñito," she shouted down the potholed street through the porch's screen door. A dark-skinned 10-year-old holding a broomstick in his hands turned. He wore a pair of long basketball shorts and no shoes.

"Just one more hit, Abuela!" he yelled back, flashing a smile he knew his grandmother couldn't resist.

The 73-year-old woman nodded and leaned against the doorframe as her grandson finished his at-bat. The stick-baseball game was a 5 p.m. routine in Santiago. By that time all the boys were home from school and the sun had sagged behind the buildings, so its intense glare no longer blinded the players. Although it was a Sunday, there were as many boys on the makeshift field as on any weekday.

Toñito tapped the broomstick on the tired piece of cardboard the boys used as home plate. Bringing it back up to his shoulder, he tightened his grip and stared down the pitcher, who was three years older and three inches taller than him. The tattered ball came fast, but Toñito connected and a loud crack echoed through the air. Everyone stared as the ball carried higher and higher, farther and farther. Everyone but Toñito. In a flash, he'd sprinted toward the cardboard first base and was nearing second when the ball finally landed on the roof of Sra. Margarita's house. He raised his hands over his head as he completed his trot around the bases.

Santa Madre de Dios! He looks just like him, Josefina thought, her eyes welling. The way he swings the bat, the way he runs the bases ... it's just like he used to look.

"Did you see me, Abuela?" Toñito shouted to his grandmother. "Nobody hits more home runs than me!" He saw Josefina wipe her eyes with the back of her wrinkled hands. "Are you okay, Abuela?
"

Post subject: Re: Sports stories
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:37 pm 

Great story!!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:00 am 

I am agreed with you. Its great story. This information for all sports fans. Now everybody can read about sports stories. Its a history of sports.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 am 

I read his first book "Sentimientos en negro y blanco" when he first published it. Of course that was when I was living in Chile and still read/spoke Spanish fairly well. Forgotten most of it now. He is a very good writer. I would recommend anything he has written.

"There's NO Crying in Baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Off-topic » Entertainment