Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 12 of 12 [ 236 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Post subject: Re: Tucson Padres
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:19 pm 

Tucson Padres to become the El Paso Chihuahuas.

Taking the cyanide pill now, it was good knowing you guys.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 pm 

Let the Paris Hilton jokes begin!

Oh, and of course, "Yo quiero Taco Bell..."

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 am 

I thought the opening series played in Tucson was kind of a slap in the face. Reno Aces Vs El Paso. Really? :lol: Granted, it was because the El Paso ballpark wasn't ready yet.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:18 pm 

Josh Byrnes has been fired by the Padres

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:13 pm 

Has anyone heard if the Independent league team is coming back here? I remember Jay Zucker said the Indy Tucson Toros were going to be on a hiatus whilst the Padres were here (granted, I think the Padres were originally only going to be here one year). I'll go to games. Indy ball is better than no baseball. Is there any news on a new one?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:00 pm 

Justin wrote:
Has anyone heard if the Independent league team is coming back here? I remember Jay Zucker said the Indy Tucson Toros were going to be on a hiatus whilst the Padres were here (granted, I think the Padres were originally only going to be here one year). I'll go to games. Indy ball is better than no baseball. Is there any news on a new one?

Can't report anything; but I'd imagine that the Padres might be around a bit longer than originally announced, given that their plans to build a stadium for their AAA team has been laughed out of the State House in Sacramento... Until and unless they find another source of funding, it's not likely to be built any time soon.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:05 pm 

EvilJuan wrote:
Justin wrote:

Can't report anything; but I'd imagine that the Padres might be around a bit longer than originally announced, given that their plans to build a stadium for their AAA team has been laughed out of the State House in Sacramento... Until and unless they find another source of funding, it's not likely to be built any time soon.

The Padres are in El Paso now... First season was 2014.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm 

See how much I don't know? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:10 pm 

Still wonder why the ownership doesnt get the AAA team back there.

I get moving ST for everyday travel, but help the city by building a stadium and bring the sidewinders back. Why not partner with wildcats and have them play there also.

I thought cornering the market and keeping all the teams close when AA was in EP and AAA was in tucson was a great PR move to get/keep a strong fan base in that area.

But again, this is coming from a fan 3k miles away and only knows the geography and not the relationships with the team in the area

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:41 pm 

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

I get moving ST for everyday travel, but help the city by building a stadium and bring the sidewinders back. Why not partner with wildcats and have them play there also.

I thought cornering the market and keeping all the teams close when AA was in EP and AAA was in tucson was a great PR move to get/keep a strong fan base in that area.

But again, this is coming from a fan 3k miles away and only knows the geography and not the relationships with the team in the area

The wonderful City Planners decided to build Kino Sports Complex in a bad neighborhood, and about a 20 minute drive from down town (I think, I live on the NW side, so maybe someone can correct me there). It is also accross the street from a Juvenile Detention Center.

They are repurposing it for soccer use. FC Tucson, I guess it is basically minor league for MLS. They also have mexican league teams train at KSC.

KSC was brand new in 1998. The issue isn't a new stadium. Also, even in the 2007 season (Sidewinders were 2006 PCL Champs) there was no spike in attendance. By midsummer, the crowds would make the Montreal Expos look like they were selling out games lol. The grounds crew couldn't upkeep the stadium very well. By August, the grass would be yellow and there would be worn patches in the OF turning to dirt. I get that it is an outdoor stadium in a Tucson summer, but still.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:41 pm 

Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

The wonderful City Planners decided to build Kino Sports Complex in a bad neighborhood, and about a 20 minute drive from down town (I think, I live on the NW side, so maybe someone can correct me there). It is also accross the street from a Juvenile Detention Center.

They are repurposing it for soccer use. FC Tucson, I guess it is basically minor league for MLS. They also have mexican league teams train at KSC.

KSC was brand new in 1998. The issue isn't a new stadium. Also, even in the 2007 season (Sidewinders were 2006 PCL Champs) there was no spike in attendance. By midsummer, the crowds would make the Montreal Expos look like they were selling out games lol. The grounds crew couldn't upkeep the stadium very well. By August, the grass would be yellow and there would be worn patches in the OF turning to dirt. I get that it is an outdoor stadium in a Tucson summer, but still.

Like you said it was a whole slew of issues. The detention center certainly didn't help much, the stadium was out of the way for sure, nothing really in the area when I was working there they didn't even have a gas station off that exit without heading into town on Ajo. The attendance was pitiful, I seen far better attendance and enthusiasm in a Low A game. The field was in complete disarray, no drainage and torn up in spots to where it was a problem for players. In all honesty a game at TEP felt like a rookie league game wrapped in a Pac coast league wrapper.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:44 am 

Justin wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Probably more like 10-15 thanks to the aviation parkway, but that wasn't really an option when they built that stadium.

And having been to a game in Reno and being a one-time Sidewinders season ticket holder, Reno's stadium blew anything we had in Tucson out of the water. Reno's stadium is right near downtown, has a ton of great amenities, great local support, and good year-round weather where you aren't baking during a day game.

Tucson really pushed their chips towards trying to get that area to grow down there, and them being scared of Rio Nuevo not panning out and abandoning the downtown stadium idea was just kind of...dumb.

Post subject: Re: Tucson Baseball
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:35 pm 

I had originally posted this in the new uniforms thread, after another poster had posted a uniform picture. I thought the post would be better served here.

Tucson apparently has a new Independant ball team set to begin play for the 2016 season. They will be in the Pecos League, which I had never heard of. The league seems to have been founded in 2010. 70 games in 72 days, and the salary is 50$ per game, per player. If you figure the average game lasts 2.5 hours, that is $3.50/hr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pecos_League

http://www.saguarosbaseball.com/
They will be playing in Kino Sports Stadium. I have noticed the tickets are going to be 1$ more than I remember the Sidewinders charging... Yeah, this should totally work. The franchise doesn't even have any FO staff listed or anything on the website yet.

I think any owner willing to look at two failed AAA teams would not be willing to put an IND team here. Actually, there was a IND team here a few years ago, but they folded due to the Padres coming here.

Last edited by Justin on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:37 pm 

TAP, can you move this to Other Sports please? This used to be the Tucson Padres thread, and it isn't relevant in this forum anymore. I changed the name to Tucson Baseball. Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 pm 

Justin wrote:
TAP, can you move this to Other Sports please? This used to be the Tucson Padres thread, and it isn't relevant in this forum anymore. I changed the name to Tucson Baseball. Thanks.

Done. :)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:25 pm 

Thanks.

JD Droddy named manager of the Saguaros. He has managed in the Pecos League before, but not much info on his background in a google search.

http://www.pecosleague.com/pecosleague. ... le_id=2050

Page 12 of 12 [ 236 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports