Page 11 of 12 [ 236 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post subject: Re: Tucson Padres
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 am 

More taxpayer monies getting wasted.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-an ... cccbe.html

They still think MLB spring training is coming back. :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm 

All sorts of troubling things in that article.

* Approving a "shell budget" with the promise that the details (including income projections) will be filled in later.
* Allocating 49% of said shell budget to hire a consultant.
* Selecting the consultant without going through a competitive bidding process.
* Planning to use taxpayer monies to build support for a referendum to spend taxpayer monies.

I'm glad I don't live in Pima County.

And yes, I'm sure the same sorts of things take place in Maricopa County, and everywhere else I've lived...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 pm 

They are going to have a 4 team tournament with Mexican Baseball teams in October!! We are saved!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:01 pm 

From the El Paso Times
Looking forward to having affiliated ball back in EP.

El Paso is closer to getting a Triple A baseball team.
The Pacific Coast league on Monday notified the city that the league has approved the sale of a team to MountainStar Sports Group LLC, of El Paso.
A letter to City Manager Joyce Wilson said the local ownership group has entered into a purchase agreement for a team, which is not named in the letter but appears to be the Tucson Padres, a team that was for sale.
El Paso businessmen Paul Foster and Joshua Hunt had said they expected to hear from the league this month on whether they would be able to get the Tucson team.
The PCL's letter said MountainStar's application to buy a team received unanimous approval.
The letter said Mountain Star has begun the next phase of the process, called the control of interest transfer. The PCL letter said that review should not have any problems.
The Tucson Padres, the minor-league affiliate of the San Diego Padres, has been for sale but recently committed to stay in Arizona for the 2013 season.
The City Council in June committed to building a $50 million Downtown baseball stadium if a team was secured. The commitment was necessary for MountainStar Sports to continue negotiations to buy a team and bring it to El Paso. The 7,000- to 9,000-seat stadium would be built where City Hall is now located and could open as soon as April 2014

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:00 am 

$50M? That is ridiculous. How long would it take the city to recoup that money? Would they ever?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 pm 

$50M? NO way. Many, many years to pay off, if ever. They are lucky to have 1500 butts in the seats for most games. At $5-15 a seat plus concessions, minus promos like dollar beers do the math. El Paso is crazy.

"There's NO Crying in Baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:37 pm 

tucsondbacksfan wrote:
$50M? NO way. Many, many years to pay off, if ever. They are lucky to have 1500 butts in the seats for most games. At $5-15 a seat plus concessions, minus promos like dollar beers do the math. El Paso is crazy.

El Paso is a border town whose population is 80% hispanic. The Spanish name "Padres" is a good start, and baseball is popular in Mexico. The median household income in El Paso is $1,143 higher than in Tucson.

I think with smart marketing, this could be a success in El Paso.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:04 pm 

TAP wrote:
tucsondbacksfan wrote:

El Paso is a border town whose population is 80% hispanic. The Spanish name "Padres" is a good start, and baseball is popular in Mexico. The median household income in El Paso is $1,143 higher than in Tucson.

I think with smart marketing, this could be a success in El Paso.

I personally have never been there but I here it is a fun town. I have heard about a nice down town scene and maybe this will just add to it?
Like I say I have never been there so that may all be BS.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 am 

I used to live about an hour from there and we spent a lot of time there and in Juarez (back when it was safe). I remember it being a dusty, dirty border town with no night life/culture to speak of. Of course that may have changed in the last twenty years.

"There's NO Crying in Baseball"
Tom Hanks- "A League of Their Own"

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:37 pm 

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:19 am 

Open the door for the sidewinders to return?

Fingers crossed

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:49 am 

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Fingers crossed

:lol:
I dont see that happening. I was at the game last night. It was San Diego chicken night. I had fun with the kids but it was not a good crowd.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:46 am 

Prosopis wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:

Fingers crossed

:lol:
I dont see that happening. I was at the game last night. It was San Diego chicken night. I had fun with the kids but it was not a good crowd.

No one wants to go to a game and sit in still 100* heat at 9pm :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:28 pm 

Great article about the death of Tucson MiLB

http://www.azsnakepit.com/2013/8/29/466 ... -in-tucson

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm 

dbacks_Nation wrote:
Great article about the death of Tucson MiLB

http://www.azsnakepit.com/2013/8/29/466 ... -in-tucson

Any sport without UofA in its name has a hard time surviving in Tucson for whatever reason.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:00 pm 

The stadium location was certainly a problem and what was around it. Not a lot of options to do stuff before and after the game. When the 'Winders' were in the Old Pueblo there wasn't even a hamburger joint close to the park coming off I-10 and only a Chevron that was built in 2007 I believe. Birmingham, Alabama was having the same problem with stadium location being off the beaten path with no establishments around it and they too were getting the questions like why doesn't anyone support the team. The Barons moved back into Bham this year and their attendance has went through the roof. It's not that I didn't like TEP I did just I can see why others wouldn't.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:48 pm 

So that's 2 AAA teams in 5 years. Nice.

The TPads had their second highest attendance of the season...for the final game.... The first highest was opening day....

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:53 am 

In the Tucson book of baseball, the Mission Bells begat the Lizards who begat the Cowboys who begat the Toros who begat the Sidewinders who begat the Padres.

If nothing else, we have led the Arizona-Texas League, the Arizona-Mexican League and the Pacific Coast League in begats.

Tucson was awarded minor-league teams in 1931, 1937, 1947, 1969 and 2011. We lost ’em in 1933, 1942, 1959 and 2008, and we’ll lose another one after tonight’s Padres-Reno game at Kino Stadium.

In the end, Tucson’s indifference to minor-league baseball overcame the eagerness that launched the Mission Bells on April 7, 1931.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:58 pm 

Watching the Padres last ever game here at Cashman Field here in Las Vegas today.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:25 pm 

I never understood why the local operators of the T-Pads chose to go with the Padres nickname rather than continue the Sidewinders name. And for that matter, the re-brand from Toros to Sidewinders was never a good idea.

One of the problems, among many, was the style of ballpark. What works for spring training does not necessarily work for regular season minor league games. Spring training sites off the freeway that are conducive to day-time traffic and the general picnic feel don't match up with the desire for urban/dtown ballparks that have experienced success in a number of minor-league cities. Not to say Tucson would have supported a team in a downtown ballpark anymore than they did at TEP - HiCorbett attendance was never great, either) but it couldn't have been worse; and there was real potential to gain traction if the quality of facility resonated with local fans. Tucson shows up for top-shelf product and I always thought that a mini-Camden Yards or something of the sort would have attracted significant crowds to downtown, despite the heat.

Page 11 of 12 [ 236 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports