Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Frank KUSH RIP
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:42 am 

:cry:

This one hurts bad. Lots of Frank Stories to tell but that will have to wait.

Right now Im trying to control my anger at the local yocals doing sportstalk radio who would rather hear themselves talk about the NBA draft for hours on end with no mention that I've heard about the passing of a local coaching ICON.

The only local media person left who could do a quality job of that would be Mark Curtis. Everyone else wasn't here and doesnt have a clue.

RIP Coach. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Frank KUSH RIP
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 am 

thoughts to his family

he was the colts coach when they drafted Elway #1 in 1983

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 pm 

There was a time when everyone in the Valley knew that name, and the legend which went with it - even if they were not followers of college football, or were UofA boosters. ;) His incident with a punter served as fodder for an extended series of cartoons in the newspapers - I think the strip was Tank McNamara - at "Enormous State University"; a name I still apply to ASU. :lol:

Shadow, when you're ready, I'd like to hear your anecdotes about Coach Kush. May he rest in peace, and may his family, and all who mourn his passing, be comforted as they remember him.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 am 

Did an interview with Fox Sports Radio yesterday. These are the two stories I told about Coach.

People forget but Reggie Jackson came to ASU on a football scholarship. After 1 year of Kush Reggie went over to baseball practice still in his football gear stepped into the cage hit 3 HR's in five swings and coach Winkles said he ought to give baseball a try. Reggie thought it might be a little easier than what he was going through in Kush practices quit football and the rest they say is history.

They next story is one Kush told on the air back in the 70's on KOY's John Moynihans Sportstalk show which I produced.

Kush had a Jr. College RB recruit in the airport they were flying back to Phoenix to announce his signing to become a Sun Devil. The young man was quiet and excused himself to use the restroom and never came back. Kush couldnt find him and flew back to Arizona without his recruit. Seems another teams coaches had wanted him too and had told him what a mean nasty cuss old coach Kush was and the recruit got scared and walked away. He did ok at USC and then in the pros OJ Simpson was almost a Sun Devil.

Back in the 70's ASU had what I thought was a QB controversy. I used to tell coach he should go with my guy SI HS cover boy Bruce Hardy. He went with Dennis Sproul the right choice and moved Hardy to TE. Hardy went on to have a nice 10? year career in the NFL and coach used to always remind me about that. :lol:

Always wanted to try to walk on and play for Kush. He was a hard ass old school coach the type who would have got the best out of me. Tore up my knee the second time and that was the end of that dream. I did get to produce the USFL game broadcasts when Kush was the Arizona Outlaws coach and had a great time.

Tucson sportswriter Greg Hansen put it best for us oldtime Zonies.

Frank Kush died today at 88 in PHX. In Mount Rushmore of Arizona sports history, it's Kush, Jerry Colangelo, Lute Olson and big gap to No. 4

True that!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm 

The Shadow wrote:
Did an interview with Fox Sports Radio yesterday. These are the two stories I told about Coach.

People forget but Reggie Jackson came to ASU on a football scholarship. After 1 year of Kush Reggie went over to baseball practice still in his football gear stepped into the cage hit 3 HR's in five swings and coach Winkles said he ought to give baseball a try. Reggie thought it might be a little easier than what he was going through in Kush practices quit football and the rest they say is history.

They next story is one Kush told on the air back in the 70's on KOY's John Moynihans Sportstalk show which I produced.

Kush had a Jr. College RB recruit in the airport they were flying back to Phoenix to announce his signing to become a Sun Devil. The young man was quiet and excused himself to use the restroom and never came back. Kush couldnt find him and flew back to Arizona without his recruit. Seems another teams coaches had wanted him too and had told him what a mean nasty cuss old coach Kush was and the recruit got scared and walked away. He did ok at USC and then in the pros OJ Simpson was almost a Sun Devil.

Back in the 70's ASU had what I thought was a QB controversy. I used to tell coach he should go with my guy SI HS cover boy Bruce Hardy. He went with Dennis Sproul the right choice and moved Hardy to TE. Hardy went on to have a nice 10? year career in the NFL and coach used to always remind me about that. :lol:

Always wanted to try to walk on and play for Kush. He was a hard ass old school coach the type who would have got the best out of me. Tore up my knee the second time and that was the end of that dream. I did get to produce the USFL game broadcasts when Kush was the Arizona Outlaws coach and had a great time.

Tucson sportswriter Greg Hansen put it best for us oldtime Zonies.

Frank Kush died today at 88 in PHX. In Mount Rushmore of Arizona sports history, it's Kush, Jerry Colangelo, Lute Olson and big gap to No. 4

True that!

What great memories! Thanks for sharing, Shadow.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:46 pm 

cool stuff

RIP Coach

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:51 am 

Hansen is right about there being a big gap between #3 and #4 on MtRushmore of AZ sports.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:17 am 

Lots of memories when It comes to Kush.

Growing up in the 70's ASU football on a saturday night was THE Sporting Event in town. You would go to Tempe have dinner at Monti's or the Spaghetti Company ride the trolly over to the Stadium watch Kush's teams beat up some WAC team then take the trolly back for drinks and celebrate.

He's the reason for the Fiesta Bowl.

Went to a wedding of a wifes friends son at a mountain top house in Paradise Valley last year. The wedding was at the grandfather of the brides house was a well to do retired construction guy who grew up in phoenix and was a good friend of Kush. At the rehearsal dinner he and I sat out on the patio overlooking the valley, smoking cigars, drinking whiskey and telling Frank Kush stories. He had told me then Frank was not doing well.

Neighbor across the street is a fan of that ugly green team in Lansing. Reminded me about Kush being a Sparty and we talked about how he was a small but stout fireplug of a guy and was an All-American middle guard on defense at Michigan State.

Coach used to run 15-20 miles a day thru the desert.

Amazing old school guy and coach.

Old age sucks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports