Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: R.I.P. Arnold Palmer
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:14 pm 

Arnold Palmer 'the king of golf' dies at 87

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Arnold Palmer
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:29 pm 

Two quick Arnie stories.

Back in the 70's when I was but just a lad they held the Phoenix Open at Phoenix Country Club off of 7th St. and Thomas.

Arnie was still playing but as a name not as a contender. The 18th hole and green were alongside the tennis courts and they had set up porta-potties along the fence. We climbed up the fence and sat on the roofs to watch the players play 18. Well Arnie is addressing a putt and some guy opens up a very squeaky door to a porta-potty. Arnie shoots him a glare and the guy sheepishly closes the door and stays inside.

Arnie looks back over says "I can't putt knowing that guy is in there" Arnie walks the 30 yards over knocks and tells the guy to get out. Palmer walks back to the green and drains the birdie. Still my favorite Phoenix Open highlight of all time.

Two years ago got to go to the Masters. They have a little outdoor VIP cafe, tables, chairs, umbrellas next to the putting practice area. Wife and I are hanging behind the ropes checking it out and up pulls Arnie in a golf cart. Everyone stood up and gave him a standing ovation. Very Cool moment and one of my favorite sports photos that I have.

RIP the King!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:13 pm 

Been watching the Golf Channel, Arnie's baby, for the past hour+,.What a loss, Arnie's passing. Maybe the greatest sports legend of all time.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:12 pm 

The Shadow wrote:
Two quick Arnie stories.

Back in the 70's when I was but just a lad they held the Phoenix Open at Phoenix Country Club off of 7th St. and Thomas.

Arnie was still playing but as a name not as a contender. The 18th hole and green were alongside the tennis courts and they had set up porta-potties along the fence. We climbed up the fence and sat on the roofs to watch the players play 18. Well Arnie is addressing a putt and some guy opens up a very squeaky door to a porta-potty. Arnie shoots him a glare and the guy sheepishly closes the door and stays inside.

Arnie looks back over says "I can't putt knowing that guy is in there" Arnie walks the 30 yards over knocks and tells the guy to get out. Palmer walks back to the green and drains the birdie. Still my favorite Phoenix Open highlight of all time.

Two years ago got to go to the Masters. They have a little outdoor VIP cafe, tables, chairs, umbrellas next to the putting practice area. Wife and I are hanging behind the ropes checking it out and up pulls Arnie in a golf cart. Everyone stood up and gave him a standing ovation. Very Cool moment and one of my favorite sports photos that I have.

RIP the King!

Love those memories, Shadow. Thanks for sharing.
I miss those days of the Open at PCC - I could run over for lunch, grabbing a dog and following whomever I chose that day (it was Arnie more often than not) for several holes before zipping back to the office. Good times.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:57 pm 

Did more to popularize golf than any man before or since, and that includes you know who.

Class act. Life well lived. RIP Arnie

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:06 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Did more to popularize golf than any man before or since, and that includes you know who.

Class act. Life well lived. RIP Arnie

I assume "you know who" is Tiger and I'm not sure I completely agree with that popularization statement. I think there has to be a differentiation between the effects each had on the game. Both had major impacts. It's tough to explain. I think Arnie popularized golf in the corporate world and among those that play golf, while Tiger popularized golf among the millions who don't necessarily play golf. Maybe it's better said that Arnie did more for the game of golf as a whole than anyone else. Tiger did more to popularize the sport among the masses.

I think Arnie was the first in ANY sport to recognize the value of his brand. It was pointed out the other day that Arnie made only about $2M in winnings over his entire career. The story was even told of how the name of the drink "Arnold Palmer" came about and how Arnie was smart enough to immediately copywrite that name. The story was also told of how Arnie got involved with the founding of the Golf Channel 20+ years ago. Ironically, it started at the same time as Tiger arriving on the golf scene. The sport has also been in a state of decline for quite a few years now, as has the state of Tiger's game. Coincidence?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports