Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm 

How deflating.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 am 

Two "Circus" catches away from going for his 7th ring :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxiHMIM4NWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz3pO7-JtTs

60 post season TD passes ahead of number two Joe Montana's 45!

GOAT. No question!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:04 pm 

What a shit show the NFL playoffs have been so far.

Only 2 close games, Pitt/KC and GB/Dal.

Every other game almost non competitive.

Average margin of victory for all 10 games is 15.7 points. take out the Pit/kc and Gb/Dal games and it's 19 points.

We better get a great super bowl to make up for this lousy playoff season

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:12 am 

I'm hoping the American Patriots win the super bowl in a blowout. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:51 am 

Funny little story here.

Back in 1971, when I was a kid, 11 going on 12, I had just moved to a new town on Long Island. I was hanging out with a few friends I had just made at the local Deli on the corner, and they had one of those little vending machines you put in a nickel and turned the dial and could get a toy out of.

This one had those little clear plastic balls, and inside the balls were the helmets of all the NFL teams.

As a New York kid I followed all the New York teams in every sport at the time, of course the Giants and the Jets in the NFL. But I wanted to have a team outside NY to root for, so I told my friends I was going to put a nickel in the slot and whatever team came out was going to be non NY favorite team.

So.....out popped the ......Atlanta Falcons.

Well, they just started hooting and hollerin, making fun of me. The Falcons were a particularly inept expansion franchise up to that point. Having come into the league in 1966, they hadn't had a winning record in their first 5 seasons, and were a combined 16-51-2. But I was stuck....I had made my call, and now I had to stick with it.

Well......something funny happened. They actually got somewhat respectable over the next few seasons.

In 1971 they went 7-6-1 for their first winning season, lead by quarterback Bob Berry, who was an accurate short passer. Their leading rusher was a guy with a great name, Cannonball Butler ! , (he kinda sucked, but great name)

The next year, they went 7-7, but had an exciting duo in the back field, having brought in Dave Hampton from the Packers, and expanding the role of Fullback Art Malone, they had a really good 1-2 punch in the backfield. The names "Hampton and Malone" rolled off the tongue. Could have been a name for a cop show too. ;)

In fact Hampton rushed for 1000 yards that year. I remember all too well, watching on TV and seeing him crossing over the 1000 yard mark, the stopping of the game, givinge him the game ball. Then they gave him another carry. he got knocked back for a 7 yard loss and finished the season with 995 Yards. True Story... very Falconesque.

But the team was getting respectable.

Then in 1973, they got off to a 1-3 start, and it looked like they would revert to being a shitty team. However they then proceeded to reel of a 7 game win streak to get to 8-3 and it looked like they would make the playoffs. Hampton was having another great season, and they were in position to take the Wild Card. Alas, they lost in weeks 12-13, and a win in weeks 14 that got them to 9-5 wasn't enough, as the Redskins got to 10-4.

Incredibly Hampton fell just short of the 1000 yards again, rushing for 997 !

Back then 1000 yard seasons were THE standard for running backs and it was a much bigger deal than it is today. To miss by 5 yards and 3 yards respectively was gut wrenching for the guy.

That was pretty much it.......Falcons went back to sucking, I pretty much lost interest. But I 've always had a little soft spot in my heart for the Falcons and while I am far from a diehard Falcons fan, I have some history with them and wouldn't quite put myself in the bandwagon category as I am rooting for them in this Super Bowl.

Anyway, stupid story, but thought you might like it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:37 am 

Art Malone, he was a SUN DEVIL played at Arizona State! ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:14 am 

Cool, I didn't know that ! Saw he unfortunately passed away in 2012 at the too young age of 64.

By the way, Hampton DID finally get his 1000 yard season in 1975. Made it to 1002, and they pulled him from the game :)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:31 pm 

Living just 90 miles from NY and 60 from Phila, I got to watch teams from both cities. Even more so beginning in the late 60's with cable picking up more local stations out of NY or Phila. It almost seemed like there wasn't a day or night I didn't have a game(s) to watch. PHILLIES, Sixers, Eagles, FLYERS, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders. Also Big Five basketball (Temple, Penn, St. Joseph, Vilanova, and La Salle) in it's heydey. Oh, the good ol days. Especially watching the Broad Street Bullies kick some Ranger or Islander ass, not to mention some Russian ass. :)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:14 pm 

shoewizard wrote:

Marana JH (now Middle school), where I went for 7th and 8th grade, were/are the Falcons. So same name, and (old) Falcons logo. I was in 7th grade and routing for the Atlanta Falcons against the Broncos in that Superbowl. Ironically, I was a John Elway fan, though... I dont really know why, but at that stage I kind of drifted to whatever team was the reigning Champion lol.

I routed for the Detroit Tigers (Marana HS Tigers) in '06, and in '12 ...but that had more to do with not wanting the teams they were facing to win. :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:34 pm 

Ah.... the fickle finger of fandom !

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:03 pm 

I'm not a Patriots hater like a lot of non-New Englanders, but I'll be rooting for Atlanta this year. Not a big vested interest, just hoping for a great game. My money would be on New England to win and I'd take the over.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:29 am 

Justin wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Marana JH (now Middle school), where I went for 7th and 8th grade, were/are the Falcons...

Best middle school basketball game I ever played was at MaranaJH. (I went to Cross,,, go Rams!)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:11 pm 

HOUSTON -- One month after the NFL left San Diego after 56 seasons, perhaps the greatest Chargers player of all time is headed for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

LaDainian Tomlinson was one of seven men named to the 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, which was revealed Saturday night at NFL Honors. Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, Kenny Easley, Jason Taylor, Morten Andersen and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones also were inducted

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... sf54524411

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:17 am 

misterx wrote:
HOUSTON -- One month after the NFL left San Diego after 56 seasons, perhaps the greatest Chargers player of all time is headed for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

LaDainian Tomlinson was one of seven men named to the 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, which was revealed Saturday night at NFL Honors. Kurt Warner, Terrell Davis, Kenny Easley, Jason Taylor, Morten Andersen and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones also were inducted

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... sf54524411

Terrell Owens not in HOF is a joke. A fucking kicker in before a guy that is arguably top 3, inarguably top 5 wide receiver all time ? Yeah yeah, world class douchebag. Doesn't disqualify him.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:23 pm 

Great start for Falcons . Lovin this

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm 

Brady has thrown more TDs to the falcons then the pats so far :D

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:08 pm 

IT WAS 28-3 NOW ITS TIED :evil:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:28 pm 

pats win :twisted:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:43 pm 

misterx wrote:
IT WAS 28-3 NOW ITS TIED :evil:

Atlanta deserved the loss. I was 100% going for the Falcons and I am at best a "meh" football fan but...

Page 4 of 5 [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports