Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports




 Page 1 of 5 [ 84 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next



Author Message
 Post subject: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
Figured one for NFL talk not related to Cardinals

Anyone else think the Broncos could have been flagged at least 2-3 times for helmet to helmet on Newton ?

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 465
I did...but I'm also a Panthers fan so I could be biased.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
I did...but I'm also a Panthers fan so I could be biased.


No, you are not Biased, at the very least the Marshalls hit should have been flagged, and I thought Ware's should have been although I guess that was a "judgement" call. Shitty judgement. Newton is getting the "Hack a Shaq" treatment because of his size and athleticism, but hits to the head mess you up no matter your size. It's bullshit.

LINK

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 7687
Location: Tucson
Thank you to people like dbackssheelspanths for your service...

I just read an article that says the entire Seattle SeaHawks team is planning on "protesting" the national anthem.

15 years ago, on the day the silly Seahawks players are going to do their cute little "protest" almost 3,000 people lost their lives. Last year, I remember being at Red Robin and our waitress said her husband was on the missing list for a week. One of my cousins was a teacher only a few blocks away from ground zero. The Italian side of my family has relatives in Manhattan (though, I have never met that branch of the family tree). I remember the events of that day were in my sophomore year and whatever class it was (English?) we were asked to create a little memorial to the victims. I got Zoe Falkenberg. She was 8 years old and on the second plane to hit the towers.

Ok, I'm sorry, this is probably totally derailing the thread. Please delete if this is a problem. It is just kind of a sore spot.

_________________
Per Mare, Per Terras


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
Wasn't pretty but Giants squeaked out a win in Dallas against a team running out a rookie QB and rookies running back.

Dallas has best offensive line in the league, but still disappointed by how little pressure G-Men got on Dak.

Next up they face the Saints at home. Oakland only sacked Brees once this past week as Oak Defense gave up 34 points to NO.

Giants offense should be better, and NO defense is terrible, but despite being at home, I am not getting the warm and fuzzies about the vaunted "new" Giants defense being able to hold Brees in check. It's probably gonna be a high scoring game and just gotta hope Giants offense can outscore NO.

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
Giants squeak another one, beating NO 16-13 on a field goal at the end.

Wasn't pretty, but the defense played great.

Offense had 3 main issues:
1.) 3 fumbles lost, (Cruz, Vereen, and Eli once on a sack)
2.) Wide receiver drops, (two in the end zone)
3.) and a running game that went no where.

Eli played really well though.

Not sure the running game gets much better, but receivers probably won't drop so many going forward.

Really happy about the defense. They BETTER be good after all that money they spent.

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:09 am
Posts: 766
Location: San Tan Valley
Skol Vikings! Very satisfying win last night with the D dominating. They will lose at Carolina this coming week, but the next week they're back home against the..... NYG.

Just heard that AP's injury is a torn meniscus, so not a season-ender there.

_________________
"Tomorrow is not promised to any of us." - Kirby Puckett


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
Oden wrote:
Skol Vikings! Very satisfying win last night with the D dominating. They will lose at Carolina this coming week, but the next week they're back home against the..... NYG.

Just heard that AP's injury is a torn meniscus, so not a season-ender there.


Good for him and Vikings fans. But honestly, over his last 5 regular season games last year he had 90 attempts for 321 yards and just a 3.6 avg gain. He only caught 7 balls over that stretch

Then he got stuffed by Seattle in playoffs, gaining just 45 yards in 23 carries.

And this year 31 rushes for 50 yards

So last 8 games 144 carries for 416 yards, 2.9 Yards per carry.

This is what decline looks like, even for the greatest, and coming off a torn meniscus a month from now I would not expect him to do much better.

On another note......I have Mckinnon on my FFB team. He will start right ? Think he'll do much when not being the change of pace back or getting garbage time ?

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 am
Posts: 107
I think Asiata is the better fantasy play, even though McKinnon is the superior talent.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
Moranall wrote:
I think Asiata is the better fantasy play, even though McKinnon is the superior talent.


Because he got more carries after AP went down this past week, or because Asiata will be the "starter" and McKinnon will still just be the change of pace guy ?

I happen to have McKinnon, Asiata is on the waiver wire. Career 3.5 yd/carry in 250 carries. Scored a lot of TD in 2014 and I can see them using him in most goal line situations, so you may be right.

My main RB's are both hurt with hamstring injuries, Doug Martin, and Jonathon Stewart. I am trying to pick up Fozzy Whitaker off waiver wire....I am in 2nd waiver position. still trying to figure out who would be my 2nd choice.

If I picked up Asiata I would always have the struggle of trying to decide who to start, him or Mckinnon....lol

Other waiver wire options are Dwayne Washington, who will pick up some work with Ameer Abdullah getting hurt, but he's still behind Riddick in that depth chart....and Dexter McCluster who was just signed by SD in the wake of the Woodhead injury, and will take over that role, but surely be less effective than Woodhead.

It's a 12 team league, but with VERY deep benches so the waiver wire plays like a 16 team league.

So.....Whitaker is staying as my first choice....but if the one guy ahead of me on the waiver wire snags him, I will have first choice among

Asiata
Washington
Mcluster

The only other guys worth looking at on our waiver wire right now are Dennis Pitta, Balt TE, and Kenny Brit of LA,...ha ha

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 am
Posts: 107
shoewizard wrote:
Because he got more carries after AP went down this past week, or because Asiata will be the "starter" and McKinnon will still just be the change of pace guy ?

I happen to have McKinnon, Asiata is on the waiver wire. Career 3.5 yd/carry in 250 carries. Scored a lot of TD in 2014 and I can see them using him in most goal line situations, so you may be right.

My main RB's are both hurt with hamstring injuries, Doug Martin, and Jonathon Stewart. I am trying to pick up Fozzy Whitaker off waiver wire....I am in 2nd waiver position. still trying to figure out who would be my 2nd choice.

If I picked up Asiata I would always have the struggle of trying to decide who to start, him or Mckinnon....lol

Other waiver wire options are Dwayne Washington, who will pick up some work with Ameer Abdullah getting hurt, but he's still behind Riddick in that depth chart....and Dexter McCluster who was just signed by SD in the wake of the Woodhead injury, and will take over that role, but surely be less effective than Woodhead.

It's a 12 team league, but with VERY deep benches so the waiver wire plays like a 16 team league.

So.....Whitaker is staying as my first choice....but if the one guy ahead of me on the waiver wire snags him, I will have first choice among

Asiata
Washington
Mcluster

The only other guys worth looking at on our waiver wire right now are Dennis Pitta, Balt TE, and Kenny Brit of LA,...ha ha


The whole Asiata/McKinnon appears to be similar to the situation we had back in 2014 when AP was suspended. McKinnon had a far superior yards/attempt, but had zero touchdowns on 140 freaking touches (113 carries, 27 catches). Meanwhile, Asiata had 9 rushing TDs. If you look at Sunday's game, Asiata had 4 more carries.

Matt Vensel of the Minnesota Star-Tribune said on Twitter: "If Adrian Peterson misses time, I expect a 65/35 split of carries between Jerick McKinnon and Matt Asiata, with Asiata as the goal-line guy." I know this is one guy, but this seems to be the common theme among many analysts. McKinnon just doesn't seem to be a great pickup IMO and it's a tough call between him or Asiata, even though McKinnon is clearly superior.

I would pass on Whitaker. I could see Cameron Artis-Payne (who was inactive last week) being the starter this week since he's much more similar to Stewart and leaves Whitaker as the change-of-pace back.

With Melvin Gordon playing well this year, I don't see McCluster being a great pickup. But, he will be in that role all season, whereas your other options are only potential starters for 1-3 weeks.

Do your waivers reset each week or do they carry over?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
carry over.

If I use my waiver pick this week, I drop to the bottom of the pile and by the time I get back to #1-2 the season is at least half over.

EDIT: And thats very good feedback about the RB's.

thanks

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 am
Posts: 107
shoewizard wrote:
carry over.

If I use my waiver pick this week, I drop to the bottom of the pile and by the time I get back to #1-2 the season is at least half over.

EDIT: And thats very good feedback about the RB's.

thanks


What is your record? If you're already 0-2, you probably need to make a move. If you're 2-0 or 1-1, I'd definitely pass a week and wait for something better.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
Moranall wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
carry over.

If I use my waiver pick this week, I drop to the bottom of the pile and by the time I get back to #1-2 the season is at least half over.

EDIT: And thats very good feedback about the RB's.

thanks


What is your record? If you're already 0-2, you probably need to make a move. If you're 2-0 or 1-1, I'd definitely pass a week and wait for something better.


I'm 1-1.

I don't have a very good roster though

PPR League. Starting lineup this week so far

QB Ryan Atl
WR Cooks NO
WR T Benjamin SD
RB McKinnon Min
TE D Allen Ind
Flex (W/R/or TE) Fuller Hou
Flex Thomas Den
K Bailey D
Def Carolina

Bench
RB

J Stewart Car
D Martin TB
A Morris DA
C Johnson AZ

WR
T Williams SD
V Cruz NY
R Mathews Ten
E Rogers Pit
J Kearse Seattle (This is who I'm dropping to get Whitaker or Asiata at the moment

TE
Jesse James Pit (Gotta spell out his whole name ;)

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:09 am
Posts: 766
Location: San Tan Valley
If you were going to pick up either McKinnon or Asiata you'd want to take McKinnon. You already have him, so look elsewhere for another RB. He's a very talented runner and he'll get you 3-5 catches a game. Don't base your choice on usage from 2 years ago. Asiata will still get the goal line carries like he did in 2014 and he'll spell on a lot of 3rd downs, but you can't predict that McKinnon won't score because he didn't 2 years ago. Again, he's the superior talent and can score long TD's. Having said that, they play Carolina this week and NYG next week. Find another RB to start.

I have Stewart in one of my leagues, but I have other solid RB's. My other league is cut-throat. 14 teams and you have to start 2 QB's lol. There are always a couple of teams who are SOL from the get-go, but QB's get hurt often and you can recover via waivers if you're on top of things. I'm luckily in good QB shape.

_________________
"Tomorrow is not promised to any of us." - Kirby Puckett


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 am
Posts: 107
Oden wrote:
If you were going to pick up either McKinnon or Asiata you'd want to take McKinnon. You already have him, so look elsewhere for another RB. He's a very talented runner and he'll get you 3-5 catches a game. Don't base your choice on usage from 2 years ago. Asiata will still get the goal line carries like he did in 2014 and he'll spell on a lot of 3rd downs, but you can't predict that McKinnon won't score because he didn't 2 years ago. Again, he's the superior talent and can score long TD's. Having said that, they play Carolina this week and NYG next week. Find another RB to start.

I have Stewart in one of my leagues, but I have other solid RB's. My other league is cut-throat. 14 teams and you have to start 2 QB's lol. There are always a couple of teams who are SOL from the get-go, but QB's get hurt often and you can recover via waivers if you're on top of things. I'm luckily in good QB shape.


No one doubts that McKinnon is the superior talent, but we have a rather lengthy history of how the Vikings use their RBs after AP. And considering that AP might only be out for a couple weeks at most, neither player would have been worth sacrificing his priority waiver position for. I'm not saying that McKinnon won't score at all, but that his rate of getting TDs is going to be suppressed because of how the Vikings use Asiata.

Edit: and now I'm reading that AP is electing surgery and could miss some significant time. That makes both McKinnon and Asiata both better plays. Stick with McKinnon and hope the Vikings use him more.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 12076
Well, I picked up Cam Payne. Word out of Carolina is Payne will get the most snaps.

Also I was confused by our waiver wire rules. I now have 7th spot. Will take a few weeks to get back near top but not all season.

Now the big question is start Payne or Start McKinnon ?

_________________
It's time for ownership to stop pretending they can't afford substantial payroll increases from recent levels. They absolutely can
viewtopic.php?p=244425#p244425


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 465
shoewizard wrote:
Well, I picked up Cam Payne. Word out of Carolina is Payne will get the most snaps.

Also I was confused by our waiver wire rules. I now have 7th spot. Will take a few weeks to get back near top but not all season.

Now the big question is start Payne or Start McKinnon ?


Interesting. I haven't heard for sure one way or the other when it comes to Payne or Fozzy. I elected to pick up Fozzy since he took over during the game when Stewart got hurt. It just made sense to me that if that is who they used to replace him last game...that's who they would use going forward. I suppose you never really know with Riverboat Ron??? lol


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 am
Posts: 107
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
Interesting. I haven't heard for sure one way or the other when it comes to Payne or Fozzy. I elected to pick up Fozzy since he took over during the game when Stewart got hurt. It just made sense to me that if that is who they used to replace him last game...that's who they would use going forward. I suppose you never really know with Riverboat Ron??? lol


The reason Fozzy was used last game was because Artis-Payne was inactive. Stewart and Artis-Payne are very similar in their style of play whereas Fozzy is an excellent change-of-pace/third down RB and is a special teams player as well. That doesn't necessarily mean Artis-Payne will get the start, but I've read several analysts say that's what they expect.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: 2016/17 General NFL Thread
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 465
Moranall wrote:
DBACKSHEELSPANTHS wrote:
Interesting. I haven't heard for sure one way or the other when it comes to Payne or Fozzy. I elected to pick up Fozzy since he took over during the game when Stewart got hurt. It just made sense to me that if that is who they used to replace him last game...that's who they would use going forward. I suppose you never really know with Riverboat Ron??? lol


The reason Fozzy was used last game was because Artis-Payne was inactive. Stewart and Artis-Payne are very similar in their style of play whereas Fozzy is an excellent change-of-pace/third down RB and is a special teams player as well. That doesn't necessarily mean Artis-Payne will get the start, but I've read several analysts say that's what they expect.


Yep, that makes sense. I thought maybe he was inactive after I typed this and went to look...sure enough, he was inactive.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 5 [ 84 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next




Board index » Off-topic » Other sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: