Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Barkley goes off on "analytics"
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 pm 

While there are legitimate criticisms of "analytics", Barkley's monologue is initially entertaining but eventually gets hard to watch as he just embarasses himself.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/02/11/charles-barkley-analytics-video-daryl-morey-houston-rockets-gm

"Analytics don't work at all. It's just some crap that people who were really smart made up to try to get in the game because they had no talent. Because they had no talent to be able to play, so smart guys wanted to fit in, so they made up a term called analytics. Analytics don't work."
and
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."

(I couldn't help but close my eyes and see Kevin Towers' face - but with Barkley's voice.)

I am not well-versed on NBA analytics, so would enjoy hearing from any who are. But it was pretty clear they were all setting up "analytic" straw men and then crushing them under some misperception that they were legitimately shooting down the concept.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports