Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 5 of 6 [ 108 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 am 

The Shadow wrote:
misterx wrote:
since the Fiesta Bowl 24-0 Clemson after 3 quarters can Shadow tell me the only time there was a shutdown in the Fiesta Bowl? hint the final score was 29-0

Was that the team that made the cover of SI to start the next year and laid an egg? :lol:

The ’94 Wildcats couldn’t match the buildup, losing a late-season 10-9 game at Oregon that put the Ducks and not Arizona into the Rose Bowl. It was one of the few disappointments of a year that, in my opinion, became and remains the greatest in Tucson sports history.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 pm 

Wife and I were discussing this the other night.

Greatest football win in Cats history?

Holiday bowl win over Nebraska?

Beat a quality team and finished high in the post season ratings not the preseason one.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 am 

The Shadow wrote:

Beat a quality team and finished high in the post season ratings not the preseason one.

The UA's best win is the Fiesta Bowl shutout of the Miami Hurricanes; the UA's best team/season is the 11-1 #4 finish in '98.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:54 pm 

Interesting discussion on best football win in UofA history. Kind of like me starting a discussion on ASU's greatest victory on the basketball court.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:00 pm 

I haven't watched more than a minute or two of the Alabama/Clemson game tonight. I think the domination of a few teams in the college football arena is not a good thing long term. How about the top four teams in the playoffs each season lose two football scholarships in the next two recruiting classes.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:05 pm 

Last edited by Justin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 pm 

dbackfanron wrote:
Interesting discussion on best football win in UofA history. Kind of like me starting a discussion on ASU's greatest victory on the basketball court.

Yeah, if ASU had a top-5 finish in a final AP poll and a couple co-championships in Pac... Oh wait, they don't. Don't bring that ASUBasketball=ArizonaFootball bullshit.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:25 am 

Can I bring Rose Bowl into the discussion? :lol: :twisted:

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 pm 

dbackfanron wrote:

college football doesnt need a champ so it doesnt need bowls right? so there goes your Rose Bowl arguement :D

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:28 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
The Shadow wrote:

The UA's best win is the Fiesta Bowl shutout of the Miami Hurricanes; the UA's best team/season is the 11-1 #4 finish in '98.

Sorry; 12-1, #4 in 1998 Final AP Poll.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 am 

misterx wrote:
dbackfanron wrote:

college football doesnt need a champ so it doesnt need bowls right? so there goes your Rose Bowl arguement :D

College football doesn't NEED a champ, nor does it NEED bowls. The bowls have been a reward for a good season and, until recent years, fun to watch the teams and the excitement in the stadiums. Now, there are so many bowls that even mediocre seasons get rewarded and 60K+ capacity stadiums are half full, at best. Six wins can get you into a bowl game? Give me a break.
The National Championship of today is still somewhat arbitrary and more a figment of the likes of ESPN and the money interests than anything else. The decline in tv ratings for the championship game over the past three years may be as much of an indicator that the playoffs are not necessary as anything.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:32 am 

Clemson v Bama round 3 in the Sugar Bowl
Oklahoma v Georgia Rose Bowl

still no 2 loss team has been in the playoffs and 1st time 1 conference got 2 teams in the playoffs

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 am 

This is the result of a system that takes each conference champion, a G5 representative, the next 2 best teams at end of regular season not to win conference championship and not from the same conference, while maintaining the Rose/SugarBowl tie-ins.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 pm 

David B wrote:
"A committee" had the flexibility to recognize that a one loss Alabama from the most talented conference is one of those teams, whereas a rigid system such as yours rewards an overrated team like USC just for winning a weak conference.

That ambiguous "flexibility" is nothing more than human opinion vulnerable to all of the worst invalidities, from confirmation bias to group-think to corruption. But maybe a hybrid of Automatic bids and At-Large bids would remove the weaknesses from a selection instrument that is overly reliant on either? Automatic qualifiers are in, but the committee decides the At-Large bids *AND* the seedings? Something similar to the March Madness selection committee.

David B wrote:
And I do see problems with expanding the playoffs which I detailed in an earlier post. In the age of CTE why would anyone want 18-22 year old kids playing an extra game that lengthens their season to NFL proportions?

Totally agree that the health/safety of the players is paramount. And those same people currently in charge of deciding the playoffs are also the ones that have already approved expanding the regular season by an extra game and added an additional 2 post-season games beyond the traditional 11-game regular season + 1 Bowl game that I grew up with; as well as brokered all the media deals that have come with absurd start times on 3 different days that have alienated fans. Now there are college teams playing more consecutive weeks than NFL teams. So I don't believe for a second that the best interests of the players is the priority to any of the people in charge of making decisions. Their priority is to exploit free labor and get every last dime while maintaining the illusion of considering the well-being of the players.

I'd cap regular season at 11 games, with a 2-week break before Conference Title Games. 12 games in 14 weeks. Then a month-long bye before playing again, with 2-week breaks between the Quarter/Semis and Semis/Final. And it's not like EVERY team/player goes through that, you're really only asking 2 teams to play the extra game. Which I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

FWIW, this year's D2 champ played 15 games.

David B wrote:
Nor am I inclined to have a University's fan base travel to a league championship game on one coast, fly across the country to play a bowl game/round of 8 playoff (Rose or Fiesta), fly somewhere else again for a semi-final game and then travel to a championship game in a fourth location.

That is the definition of CFB first-world problems. I'd abso-effing-lutely LOVE to have to visit great destinations and watch my team win playoff rounds on a march to the National Championship. And I'd also LOVE to watch my team play in those games on TV, too. But maybe I'm weird.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 pm 

Two out of the three playoff games went into overtime, including the Championship which was won by a team that wouldn't have been in your 8 team playoffs. I don't know about you, but I was more than satisfied with the match ups on the field.

And speaking of first world problems...advocating for an 8 team playoff.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
That is the definition of CFB first-world problems. I'd abso-effing-lutely LOVE to have to visit great destinations and watch my team win playoff rounds on a march to the National Championship. And I'd also LOVE to watch my team play in those games on TV, too. But maybe I'm weird.

I love visiting great destinations too. Unfortunately my wallet is more of the stay at home type. And I don't even have the dilemma of being a low income parent of an athlete participating in an 8 team playoff that wants to support their son the entire way.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:45 am 

I'm not alone in viewing an 8-team format as being more fair than the current BowlGame/Conference Commissioner brokered arrangement. 2 teams is better than a vote; 4 teams is better than 2; and 8 is best. But I wouldn't advocate beyond that, teams 9-16 might be able to win a tournament - it's college - but they wouldn't have a claim of being a conference champion or having a superior record. The regional biases that play out in the committee are an abomination. Of course all the good ol' boys from the SEC think the Pac12 is weak.

If the committee was so smart, how come we wound up with #3 vs #4? Shouldn't it have been #1 vs #2? If they were so smart, they should have had Bama #1 instead of #4. Every year we discover just how wrong the committee is. If this was the 2-team format of the old BCS we'd have Clemson vs Oklahoma. 2 teams NOT in the Final.

And you're seriously claiming that low-income parents couldn't attend each game in an 8-team tournament, but they *can* go to each game of an 11-12 game regular season, a conference championship game, and then two more playoff games; and one more game is the big difference to a low-income family and that's why an 8-team format can't even be considered??? They can't attend each game as it is now!! Rather than perpetuate a fraudulent selection system that protects these low-income families from not being able to go to games they're not invited to, a superior solution is to pay the players for commercial uses of their name/likeness and provide travel for the families. CFB is a multi-$Billion industry, if the presence of parents is so critical as to prevent consideration of a more-perfect system, then their presence is equally important enough for CFB to pay the players enough to cover family travel costs.

Beyond the playoff format, I personally believe that the Big10 and Pac12 football teams should leave the NCAA and reconstitute as club teams in their own Rose Bowl league with all the same academic requirements as any other institution, but one that also pays it's players their fair market value. Two conferences of 12 teams with a footprint stretching from the Pacific to the Atlantic, a balanced rotating schedule, and a 4-team tournament of Division Champs to determine the Rose Bowl Champion. See where the best high school players wind up when the NCAA is offering a scholarship and poverty vs The Rose Bowl League's scholarship and fair market value.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am 

And my wallet is of the stay-home-watch-tv variety as well. But yeah, 4 more of those awful playoff games on tv would be terrible.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:05 am 

You are alone in wanting an 8 team playoff, in that anyone that matters, ESPN, coaches, ADs, college chancellors and conference presidents, don't want it.

I'm from a Pac 12 state and I KNOW the conference is weak. 1-8 in bowl games is an embarrassment and certainly not deserving of its conference champion getting an automatic berth in an 8 team playoff. That's the problem with your system. Not all conference champions are created equal. Nor are all undefeated teams. But in your black & white world that doesn't matter.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm 

You're saying that not one coach in Power5 conferences would prefer an 8-team playoff?? That's ludicrous - I've read/heard countless statements from coaches that would prefer it. And nobody at ESPN would prefer an 8-team playoff? Again, ludicrous - read/seen countless statements from that network in support of it for several reasons.

And for all those that don't want it - are the reasons as wholesome as yours or simply because they want to limit access of others and maintain exclusive control?

And being invited to an 8-team playoff isn't the same as being invited to a 4-team playoff. The better teams will win and then we'll have BETTER 4-team playoffs, while at the same time preserving the traditional bowl tie-ins and restoring NewYearsDay to it's rightful place among the greatest days in sports - both being elements of the college game that a great deal of fans loved.

Page 5 of 6 [ 108 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports