Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 6 of 6 [ 108 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post subject: Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:20 pm 

Im gonna go out on a limb and say neither of you are going to convince the other ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:09 pm 

Sorry gary, you're out there alone on your 8 team island...

"Not coincidentally, I sense zero appetite across the sport for an eight-team playoff. Before the CFP started, I predicted the system would expand halfway through ESPN’s 12-year contract. I was wrong. There’s even less support for the idea now than there was then.

And while eight-team proponents might argue that an expanded format would cast that net even wider, those within the sport don’t see it that way.

“What would (No. 2) Ohio State-(No.3) Michigan have been if we went to an eight-team playoff?” Hancock said in Tampa. “Both would have been in. It still would have been Ohio State-Michigan with all the tradition, but it wouldn’t have been the same.

“Our focus on the regular season is unwavering among our leadership. The postseason and regular seasons are tied together.”

Based on numerous conversations with ESPN execs in recent years, the playoff’s TV partner feels the same way. Yes, it’s got a $7.3 billion investment in the CFP, but it’s spent even more billions than that on rights deals with the five power conferences. And they’re contingent on the stakes of all those regular-season showdowns remaining the same."

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... ight-teams

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 pm 

That article is from last year and the Big12 commissioner has concerns with the system.

I've never argued that the system in place isn't the system in place, or that it isn't supported by the ones in charge. No shit the power-brokers support the system - they're the ones that devised it. And I'm sure their own pride, as well as the $7+ BILLION media rights deal has nothing to do with their current support. :roll:

But just like we never thought we'd get a playoff, and ultimately did, these things change/evolve. There were power-brokers opposed to the idea of a playoff initially, too. The arguments for an 8-team playoff are stronger than the arguments against it. The 8-team playoff is coming eventually. Whether they (appropriately) decide the DityGary System is the fairest or best is out of my hands, but I've heard far too many voices calling for something along those lines to be ghosted into thinking I didn't hear/read/see what I did.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:43 pm 

Yeah, the idea of an 8-team playoff is crazy. Nobody wants that. That's why D2 has a 28-team tournament after an 11-game season.

NCAA Division II Football Championship field announced

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 pm 

You keep saying you've heard all these "voices" demanding change but you've yet to produce one concrete link from anyone in a position of power in this process to substantiate your opinion. Yes, the Big 12 commissioner had concerns last year when he was butthurt over not getting a team in the playoff. You notice he had nothing to say this year.

In your 8 team system both Auburn and Georgia would have gotten in this year, leaving the result of the SEC championship game moot. Same with Ohio St/Wisconsin. That's why television is so against it. it's the same problem college basketball has. They've essentially punted the regular season in favor of the tournament. A Duke/No Carolina game in February (or even the conference tourney) gets low ratings because it's essentially meaningless (the ACC Championship game got a weak 2.0 rating last year, down from 2.2 in 2015). Everyone knows both teams are getting into March Madness so only diehard fans of the schools involved care.

The system has produced three of the all time great championship games ever, each one decided on the last play of the game (an overtime, a final play touchdown and a failed onside kick). There is no clamoring for change.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm 

dirtygary wrote:
while at the same time preserving the traditional bowl tie-ins and restoring NewYearsDay to it's rightful place among the greatest days in sports

They play football on New Year's Day? :o

My NYD is consumed by watching the Mummer's Day Parade, now that I've found out they stream it... :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am 

Gary, yeah you are alone and the only person anywhere to advocate for an 8 team playoff. I say go straight to 16! ;) :P Before everyone fly's off the handle, let me explain. The problem I didn't like about your 8 team playoff was having 2 of the 8 teams being teams that lost their conference championship game, and in your seeding one of the games was a rematch of the SEC championship game.

So my crazy 16 team playoff is nothing more than just using the P5 conference championship games as the first round. Then the other 3 spots are decided by 3 play-in games that occur the same weekend as the conference championship games. That means all 8 teams in the playoffs will have to win a game the weekend of the conference championships. No losers allowed, and no rewarded "bye" weeks for teams named Alabama not even good enough to play in their conference championship! :P LOL This means 6 teams would play an extra game that they wouldn't under the current system. This past year, it would of only been 5 since UCF played in their conference championship game. Under those circumstances, their conference championship game would have to use the 2nd and 3rd best teams, but I doubt the conference would care since their best team is bringing in better revenue to the conference by playing in a play-in game to get into the playoffs instead.

The final college football playoff rankings prior to conference championships would be used. I know, I know, the incredible messy debate will be whether Michigan St or LSU should be in right? LOL

The teams that weren't in conference championship games were:
5. Alabama
9. Penn St
13. Washington
14. UCF
15. Notre Dame
16. Michigan St.
17. LSU

So weekend of conference championship games, have Alabama vs. Michigan St, Penn St. vs Notre Dame, and Washington vs UCF.

The winners of those 3 games and the 5 P5 conference champions are seeded in an 8 team playoff according to the final rankings prior to the conference championship games. Nobody gets rewarded by not playing in a championship game and everyone must win in order to get in the playoffs.

So, how many extra games would teams in this system have to play?
For the 6 teams in the play-in games, it adds an extra game over the current system, so they would end up playing 14 games instead of 13.
For the 4 teams that play in the semi-finals, they play 15 instead of 14.
For the 2 teams that play in the championship, they play 16 instead of 15.

So there is a maximum number of 12 teams in the country that would have to play 1 extra game over what the current system would have. I don't think those 12 teams would mind one extra game to have a shot on the field to prove they were the best.

The idea of shortening the season back to 11 games would never be approved because the big shot teams and conferences that have all the power would never approve it. That 12th game is an extra home game and all the big time college football universities are not going to give up the revenue of a home game. I get David's concern over the safety of players, but I can see the game being banned or radically transformed away from the more violent portions before I see them agreeing to shorten the season back to 11 games. And realistically, is one less game going to make the very real concerns of long term head trauma any less?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 pm 

Ugh. This year's flu was nasty. Knocked me out for a while.

Anyways, I like the 16-team idea using the conference championships as the first round, also. So do some coaches.
"I would change it to 16 teams. FCS, they’ve got a great system. It’s been in place for many years. My dad won the national championship at Western Kentucky when they were I-AA in 2002. I think that’s the best system. If you look at every other sport, they have a playoff at every level. … It’s not a four-team. Basketball goes from 64 to the Final Four. I think that’s the way it should be done to have a national champion like they do in gymnastics, like they do in basketball, men’s and women’s, lacrosse, every other sport you can think of. And you already have the format with the FCS. If not 16, then 12. It makes all sense in the world. You’ve got the best way to do it, a playoff. The argument against is, ‘Well, they would have to play 15 games. There’s teams playing 15, 16 games already, and that’s only if you’re in the championship. Our regular season right now is 12 games. You go to the Big Ten championship, that’s 13 games. You go to the playoffs, semifinals, there’s 14. Play in the national championship, that’s 15."

As for whether the current committee favors the model they created, well I never argued there was anybody in that limited body that didn't like their own system. But to say that alone prevents any change from ever occurring is like saying because the current Administration is against single-payer healthcare we'll never have that either. Administrations change. And if I'm alone in preferring an 8-team model, well the people that posted their opinions in this thread have changed their minds.
shoewizard wrote:
I would have gone 8 teams....but this is better than nothing.

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
shoewizard wrote:
I would have gone 8 teams....but this is better than nothing.

Baby steps

misterx wrote:
I think 8 teams would be great also

Oden wrote:
I still like expanding to 8 teams with the 5 power conference champs getting in along with the next 3 highest ranked teams.

And then there are the coaches. Over 100 coaches polled when playoff was announced and over 61% wanted at least 8 teams. The ACC Commissioner even called 8 teams "ideal".
Of the coaches who voted in ESPN's weekly poll, 44 percent want an eight-team playoff, compared with 29 percent for the current four-team playoff. Some 17 percent want a 16-team playoff.

Of the 128 FBS coaches, 103 participated in this week's poll.

Most of the coaches who want an eight-team playoff believe it should consist of the conference champions from the Power 5 leagues plus the next three highest-ranked at-large teams, or the top-ranked Group of 5 champion and the two highest-ranked at-large teams.

This week, ACC commissioner John Swofford said that in terms of the number of teams, an eight-team playoff "would probably be ideal."...

More than half of the coaches (53 percent) from the Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12) who voted chose an eight-team playoff, compared with 33 percent for the four-team model.

Others that work in football.
College football needs to go to an 8 team playoff. The winner of the power 5 conferences is an automatic berth and then 3 at large teams. Would settle most of the issues we have these days.

Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun thinks that playoff should exist, he tells The Colorado Springs Gazette’s Brent Briggeman. Calhoun proposes an eight-team Playoff just like Connelly’s, but he thinks the Group of 5 rep should be spawned from its own event. “I think it would, really, bring a wholeness that would be splendid for the spirit of college football,” Calhoun, whose Falcons play in the Mountain West, says.

There are plenty that would prefer more teams in the playoff and the conference champions receiving automatic bids.

Page 6 of 6 [ 108 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports