Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports

Page 4 of 5 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 am 

The Shadow wrote:
Bama is now a 16.5 favorite vs Washington the highest line ever in a playoff game.

Committee had one job to do. Select the 4 best teams.

They did not do their job! :evil:

so would you have put in Penn St in over UW? I know you probally would have Michigan but they finished 3rd in their division

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 am 

I still like expanding to 8 teams with the 5 power conference champs getting in along with the next 3 highest ranked teams. It would give the conference championships meaning and still give wiggle room for good teams that don't win their conference title game like Ohio St. If that system were used this year, guess what? The top 8 ranked teams would get in. The match ups would be:

Alabama vs. Wisconsin
Ohio St. vs. Oklahoma
Clemson vs. Michigan
Washington vs. Penn St.

Who wouldn't love to see Clemson against Michigan's D in the first round?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:44 am 

None of this even matters.

Bama and Michigan's D. Everything else in college football is overrated!

But lets say Bama lost on the road to a Mississippi St on a last second FG by one point.

Then lets say they lost to LSU on the road in double OT with a ton of questionable calls.

Lets say a team they beat 49-10 this year ends up winning the SEC Championship.

You think BAMA doesnt get in? Come on.

The job of the committee is to pick the 4 BEST teams. Nothing else matters. Conference championships, where you finished in your conference, head to head, strength of schedule.

If your going to pick the 4 most deserving teams just say it and keep doing it this way. Just dont tell you are picking the 4 BEST TEAMS! :evil:

If they want to pick the 4 best teams they should have Vegas do it. They know who they are. ;)

Oh and Im not as bitter as you think. I bet a large sum on BAMA at 6-1 to win it all. It will just be easier for them to steamroll this bunch and pay me my money! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:52 am 

The Shadow wrote:
None of this even matters.

Bama and Michigan's D. Everything else in college football is overrated!

But lets say Bama lost on the road to a Mississippi St on a last second FG by one point.

Then lets say they lost to LSU on the road in double OT with a ton of questionable calls.

Lets say a team they beat 49-10 this year ends up winning the SEC Championship.

You think BAMA doesnt get in? Come on.

The job of the committee is to pick the 4 BEST teams. Nothing else matters. Conference championships, where you finished in your conference, head to head, strength of schedule.

If your going to pick the 4 most deserving teams just say it and keep doing it this way. Just dont tell you are picking the 4 BEST TEAMS! :evil:

If they want to pick the 4 best teams they should have Vegas do it. They know who they are. ;)

Oh and Im not as bitter as you think. I bet a large sum on BAMA at 6-1 to win it all. It will just be easier for them to steamroll this bunch and pay me my money! :mrgreen:

Did the team that won the SEC beat the teams Bama lost too? like Penn St beat the teams Michigan lost too

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:00 pm 

Lots of proposals out there being debated and its all good. I love debates. Its what makes sports great and politics not so much. :lol:

Hell Im old school though and I loved the bowls. I didnt want change. I didnt want BCS or playoffs.

What made college football great is the regular season every game mattered. Every game was a playoff game.

So what if it led to two teams getting the National Championship.

Let the Husker fans feel they won the Dr. Tom last year sympathy retirement vote '97 championship.

I know who really won in '97. Hell I was there. I got the SI that says so on the cover.

I love telling Husker fans the real reason they got their alleged part of the title because that FF Phil Fulmer voted Michigan 4th on his ballot because he was still butt hurt about Peyton losing to Charles Woodson for the Heisman.

Its also fun to remind them about 5 downs from the 1 in the Colorado game and the kicked ball in the Mizzou game.

The bowl games are meaningless now even the Rose Bowl and thats sad IMO.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:06 pm 

misterx wrote:
The Shadow wrote:
Did the team that won the SEC beat the teams Bama lost too? like Penn St beat the teams Michigan lost too

Yes 49-10! :lol:

They also lost to Pitt just like Penn St and Clemson did. :lol:

The reason USC is favored over Penn St is that they are not a top 5 team. Not even close.

If you want to put them in your playoff or top 5 because they are deserving say that.

Just dont tell me they are a top 5 team because they are not.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:31 pm 

The Shadow wrote:
Lots of proposals out there being debated and its all good. I love debates. Its what makes sports great and politics not so much. :lol:

Hell Im old school though and I loved the bowls. I didnt want change. I didnt want BCS or playoffs.

What made college football great is the regular season every game mattered. Every game was a playoff game.

So what if it led to two teams getting the National Championship.

Let the Husker fans feel they won the Dr. Tom last year sympathy retirement vote '97 championship.

I know who really won in '97. Hell I was there. I got the SI that says so on the cover.

I love telling Husker fans the real reason they got their alleged part of the title because that FF Phil Fulmer voted Michigan 4th on his ballot because he was still butt hurt about Peyton losing to Charles Woodson for the Heisman.

Its also fun to remind them about 5 downs from the 1 in the Colorado game and the kicked ball in the Mizzou game.

The bowl games are meaningless now even the Rose Bowl and thats sad IMO.

I'll never understand why playoffs are fine for EVERY other sport but major college football all the lower levels have playoffs. Don't you say March Madness is one of the best sporting events?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:44 pm 

The Shadow wrote:
misterx wrote:
The Shadow wrote:

Yes 49-10! :lol:

They also lost to Pitt just like Penn St and Clemson did. :lol:

The reason USC is favored over Penn St is that they are not a top 5 team. Not even close.

If you want to put them in your playoff or top 5 because they are deserving say that.

Just dont tell me they are a top 5 team because they are not.

vegas also favored asu to beat Arizona how did that turn out ;)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:52 pm 

misterx wrote:
I'll never understand why playoffs are fine for EVERY other sport but major college football all the lower levels have playoffs. Don't you say March Madness is one of the best sporting events?

March Madness is a crapshoot. Best team doesnt always win which makes it entertaining.

Regular season is a waste of time and conference championships are a joke money grab.

Those uofa fans do love going to Vegas though since they are no longer going to final fours! :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:54 pm 

misterx wrote:
vegas also favored asu to beat Arizona how did that turn out ;)

Great for the bettors who knew that asu was going to quit because they wanted no more bowl practices under Graham. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:41 pm 

College football playoffs are a joke. Picking the four "best" teams is, and will probably always be, subjective. The entire bowl season has become a joke with many bowls only drawing 20-30K fans and the bullshit hype around the playoffs. We've got this notion in this country that if it is new it must be good. Horse shit.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:23 am 

dbackfanron wrote:
College football playoffs are a joke. Picking the four "best" teams is, and will probably always be, subjective. The entire bowl season has become a joke with many bowls only drawing 20-30K fans and the bullshit hype around the playoffs. We've got this notion in this country that if it is new it must be good. Horse shit.

so how would you determine a champion go back to the old way with subjective polls?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:16 pm 

misterx wrote:
dbackfanron wrote:

so how would you determine a champion go back to the old way with subjective polls?

Why do we need a national champion in football? It's much too difficult to ask the players to play more than 14-15 games in a season and with that limitation it becomes very difficult to come up with a system that is remotely fair like basketball and baseball.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:03 pm 

what sport doesnt have a champ? pro players play more and these 17-22 year old kids can recover faster then pro. guess what basketball and baseball SUBJECTIVELY pick the teams

Michigan has now lost 3 out of there last 4 so yea they are 1 of the 4 best teams :roll:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:25 am 

In basketball and baseball there are much larger sample sizes (games) and much more inter-conference play than football. They also have 64 teams in their playoffs which lessens the affect of the subjectivity in crowning a national champion.

I prefer the tradition of the Rose Bowl (PAC 12 vs. Big Ten) and the other major bowls. However, if fans think life on earth will end if we don't crown a champion in football I propose this:

>Limit to SEC, Big Ten, Big Twelve, PAC 12, ACC.
>All five conferences must have a conference champion determined by a championship game.
>The conference champion automatically gets a spot in the playoffs.
>Three "wild card" teams could be chosen from any of the five conferences. Could have six teams in one game playoffs in early December to determine the three wild card teams.
>Twelve game regular season, with nine in conference games.
>Three non-conference games must be against teams from the other four conferences.
>The three non-conference games must be played in October and not at the beginning of the season.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:49 pm 

since the Fiesta Bowl 24-0 Clemson after 3 quarters can Shadow tell me the only time there was a shutdown in the Fiesta Bowl? hint the final score was 29-0

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:54 pm 

PAC 12 football O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D. Certainly not one of the top three or four conferences.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:59 am 

dbackfanron wrote:
PAC 12 football O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D. Certainly not one of the top three or four conferences.

I think you meant Big 10. Top 3 teams were 0-3 this year in bowl games and have been out scored 69-0 in last two seasons playoff games. The PAC 12 has outperformed the Big 10 in 5 straight years in bowl games results.

http://no2minutewarning.com/conference- ... standings/

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 am 

No, I meant PAC 12. I watched most of the games and wasn't impressed with any of the games, even those that the PAC 12 team won. The three PAC 12 wins were by a total of seven points.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:43 am 

misterx wrote:
since the Fiesta Bowl 24-0 Clemson after 3 quarters can Shadow tell me the only time there was a shutdown in the Fiesta Bowl? hint the final score was 29-0

Was that the team that made the cover of SI to start the next year and laid an egg? :lol:

Page 4 of 5 [ 93 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Off-topic » Other sports