Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Baseball Matters » Major League Baseball

Page 3 of 5 [ 95 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Bryce Harper
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:17 pm 

Since when do Mormons in Vegas abide by those rules anyway? This isn't Provo :)

He does have a very nice family and was raised well, my sister still hangs out with his older brother.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:44 am 

dbacks_Nation wrote:
Since when do Mormons in Vegas abide by those rules anyway? This isn't Provo :)

He does have a very nice family and was raised well, my sister still hangs out with his older brother.

Ha ! Quite true. Religion aside, still a stupid question.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:51 am 

shoewizard wrote:
Thats a clown question Bro

I am really becoming quite a fan, I have to admit.
Perfect answer, perfect delivery.

you are not the only one becoming a fan

Might be the greatest post in the history of this board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:39 pm 

The question was a bit silly, but did the reporter know he was Mormon? I knew he was mega-religious and follow baseball pretty closely, but I really had no idea he was Mormon. That makes the context of the question a bit different.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:01 pm 

I'm glad someone can state the obvious without being an idiot and making himself look like a jackass. Looking at you, Mr. Kendrick!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:27 pm 

if he is that religous, will he go on a mission and miss time playing?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:43 pm 

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
if he is that religous, will he go on a mission and miss time playing?

Thats a clown question, bro. ;):lol:

I swear, im going to be using that alot in the coming months.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 pm 

qudjy1 wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
if he is that religious, will he go on a mission and miss time playing?

players ever miss time for religious beliefs?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:03 pm 

NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
if he is that religious, will he go on a mission and miss time playing?

I was just messin with you by the way - i have no idea - but i doubt he would miss time for a mission - kid lives baseball - he could do whatever in the winter.

Yom kippur - Sandy Koufax.

Koufax is also remembered as one of the outstanding Jewish athletes in American sports. His decision to not pitch Game 1 of the 1965 World Series because it fell on Yom Kippur garnered national attention as an example of conflict between social pressures and personal beliefs.[4]

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/merron_on_green.html

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:08 pm 

It's not unusual for Mormons to go on a mission in their 40's and 50's.

Quote:
When Bryce Harper was first called up, there was the question of how long he'd stay in the big leagues. With that behind him, apparently some pessimistic Nationals fans had another concern -- his religion.

Amanda Comak of the Washington Times points out something I hadn't thought much about -- but even though Harper is Mormon, he will not be going on a mission anytime soon.

Many of Harpers friends are preparing to go on their two-year missions that many Mormons go on after their first year of college, but Harper will not be going anywhere. According to Comak, because of his baseball career, Harper will get an extension and be able to do his mission later in life.

Rockies pitcher Jeremy Guthrie is also a Mormon and he went on a mission during college, spending two years in Spain before transferring from BYU to Stanford. Orioles reliever Matt Lindstrom served a mission in Sweden after graduating high school and before going to college.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/19017756/bryce-harper-isnt-going-anywhere-anytime-soon

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:15 pm 

qudjy1 wrote:
NJ-DBACKS-FAN wrote:
qudjy1 wrote:

I was just messin with you by the way - i have no idea - but i doubt he would miss time for a mission - kid lives baseball - he could do whatever in the winter.

Yom kippur - Sandy Koufax.

Koufax is also remembered as one of the outstanding Jewish athletes in American sports. His decision to not pitch Game 1 of the 1965 World Series because it fell on Yom Kippur garnered national attention as an example of conflict between social pressures and personal beliefs.[4]

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/merron_on_green.html

Its all good ;)

I was not trying to be an ass, but i know missions are a serious part of thier beliefs. I know some BYU football players miss a full season or two at times.

I do not know how long they last, maybe he can do his in the winter.

I wonder if he has any verbage in his contract about it.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm 

Mormon Church must love Harper, they get roughly 20% of your paycheck in some cases or else you can't belong to the Temple.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:44 pm 

Quote:
Its all good ;)

I was not trying to be an ass, but i know missions are a serious part of thier beliefs. I know some BYU football players miss a full season or two at times.

I do not know how long they last, maybe he can do his in the winter.

I wonder if he has any verbage in his contract about it.

Mormon missions are 24 months for young men and 18 months for women.

Anyone remember Sean Bradley ? 7'6" center....went on a mission before starting NBA career

Wiki Page

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:46 pm 

dbacks_Nation wrote:
Mormon Church must love Harper, they get roughly 20% of your paycheck in some cases or else you can't belong to the Temple.

It's 10% not 20%, it's called Tithing.

Link

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
dbacks_Nation wrote:

It's 10% not 20%, it's called Tithing.

Link

There we go! I forgot the actual numbers, but 10% is still a huge chunk.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 pm 

Definitely. There are a lot of well off Mormons that pay tithing, and the church is extremely well financed.

But tithing is a fairly well known religious concept....certainly not unique to the Mormons in any way, although they probably do a better job at collecting it than most. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 pm 

Catholics are supposed to tithe (those extravagant churches don't pay for themselves) but there is no way for the Church to know if you actually do it.

FWIW, how do the LDS know if you tithe or not or even if you belong at the temple. Are you expected to sign in or something? Are things really set up in a way that someone can't just walk in off the street and worship? I'm not religious but I was raised Catholic. What I remember was that everyone was welcome.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:50 pm 

matt wrote:
Catholics are supposed to tithe (those extravagant churches don't pay for themselves) but there is no way for the Church to know if you actually do it.

FWIW, how do the LDS know if you tithe or not or even if you belong at the temple. Are you expected to sign in or something? Are things really set up in a way that someone can't just walk in off the street and worship? I'm not religious but I was raised Catholic. What I remember was that everyone was welcome.

For the tithing, they keep records.

The Mormon church has regular churches, and anyone can go to those. Temples are different than churches for them. They reserve the temples for special ceremonies, not regular worship, and only members in good standing can enter the temple. Not even all members can go in.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 am 

shoewizard wrote:
matt wrote:

For the tithing, they keep records.

The Mormon church has regular churches, and anyone can go to those. Temples are different than churches for them. They reserve the temples for special ceremonies, not regular worship, and only members in good standing can enter the temple. Not even all members can go in.

I believe most anyone can enter the temple to an extent, but there are chambers that are off limits to anyone who is not a higher member. Being a non-member (and non-Mormon), I could only enter the foyer and atrium of the temple, other than that I couldn't go anywhere except the bathrooms.

Grew up with a lot of Mormons and I couldn't even attend their weddings since they were at the temple; could only attend the reception which were held at homes afterward. I grew up 3 houses down from the Mormon Temple in Las Vegas, quite interesting every Sunday.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 pm 

Harper went 0-7 with 5 K's and 5 LOB in a 14 inning 5-3 loss to the Yankees.

baseball is a humbling game.

Page 3 of 5 [ 95 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Baseball Matters » Major League Baseball