Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Baseball Matters » Major League Baseball

Page 5 of 5 [ 95 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post subject: Re: Bryce Harper
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:54 am 

Dre wrote:
That's a Clown Statement Bro

Quote:
We've got one of the best second basemen in the league in Danny Espinosa," Harper told reporters.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11161 ... -nationals

Pretty clear solution is move Harper behind the plate and solve all of Washington's problems.

You sure it wasn't this one?

"I haven't talked to nobody about anything, so I have no clue" - Bryce Harper

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 am 

lots of "gems" in there

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:10 pm 

Guess who harpers closest comp thru age 21 is at bb ref

link

:twisted:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:56 pm 

c'mon, not even a chuckle...from anyone ??

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 am 

shoewizard wrote:
c'mon, not even a chuckle...from anyone ??

:lol:suppressed instinctively after 3 years of Towers Trauma.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:10 am 

I didnt even have to open the link...

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:33 am 

qudjy1 wrote:
I didnt even have to open the link...

Same

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:15 pm 

Harper hit 3 HR today, giving him 8 on the season. His current line is now .265/.416/.561. He has 26 walks and 36 K's in 125 PA.

Thats a 56% TTO result.

Still just 22 years old, the stat that was circulating a week or so ago was that Bryce Harper has never faced a pitcher younger than he is at any professional level. And considering he went to JUCO at age 17, probably not since high school.

Chew on that for a minute.

Superficially, if just looking at triple slash rate stats and raw counting stats, he looks very similar to Justin through age 22. But once you adjust for scoring environment, ballpark, and defense, Harper proves to be MUCH better than Justin through similar age. And that doesn't include today, or the rest of this season for that matter.

Code:

Player         WAA/pos OPS+ Rfield WAR/pos   PA   R   H 2B 3B HR RBI  BB  SO GDP SB CS   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
Bryce Harper       5.6  122   22.0    10.6 1610 228 379 65 14 60 164 181 354  19 31 15 .270 .355 .465 .819
Justin Upton       0.6  111    7.0     5.8 1728 226 413 84 19 60 208 184 447  36 41 17 .272 .352 .471 .824

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:54 am 

Some veteran in that clubhouse has to get control of this kid... absolutely ripping the ball but showing that he's still 22 going on 12 in the maturity department. Kills his club to get continually thrown out of games

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:01 pm 

The ultimate veteran influence is right there and undoubtedly working on just that with Harper. I have long harbored doubts about his ability to overcome his immaturity sufficiently to have a long, successful career. I still do. But I can also say I believe I have seen the influence of Matt Williams on the kid and he has come a long way from his first couple of seasons.

But, come on. I was at the game from which he was ejected vs. AZ and I watched innumerable replays of the latest one. In both cases I will agree Harper could have handled things better. But in neither case was he (in my view) more than about 40-60% of the problem. Both plate umpires were clearly looking to thumb him and in both cases, I thought the umpire were baiting him. Particularly in the latest one, the ump was way, WAY too eager to engage Harper directly.

Yes, the kid has a lot of work to do to raise his level of maturity. Sadly, so do both of those plate umpires.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 pm 

stephen wrote:
But I can also say I believe I have seen the influence of Matt Williams on the kid and he has come a long way from his first couple of seasons.

Quite the opposite, if Williams shuts his mouth yesterday... the situation had been diffused, Harper was back in the box, and the game moves on. Williams continues to chirp and gets them both rung.

All that talent on the Nats' roster is getting held back by the lack of managerial fortitude displayed daily by Williams.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:45 pm 

Dre wrote:
stephen wrote:
But I can also say I believe I have seen the influence of Matt Williams on the kid and he has come a long way from his first couple of seasons.

Quite the opposite, if Williams shuts his mouth yesterday... the situation had been diffused, Harper was back in the box, and the game moves on. Williams continues to chirp and gets them both rung.

All that talent on the Nats' roster is getting held back by the lack of managerial fortitude displayed daily by Williams.

I completely disagree Dre.

He was in the box, the ump took his mask off to argue with Williams. So harper stepped out. When the ump stopped arguing with Williams he gave Harper less than 5 seconds to get back in before he tossed him. Thats bullshit. 40000 fans came to see Harper, not the ump.

Harper got tossed once before this season, and that was only his second ejection ever, this is the 3 rd of his career.

He is not out of control. The adults are :)

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:45 pm 

shoewizard wrote:
Dre wrote:
stephen wrote:

I completely disagree Dre.

He was in the box, the ump took his mask off to argue with Williams. So harper stepped out. When the ump stopped arguing with Williams he gave Harper less than 5 seconds to get back in before he tossed him. Thats bullshit. 40000 fans came to see Harper, not the ump.

Harper got tossed once before this season, and that was only his second ejection ever, this is the 3 rd of his career.

He is not out of control. The adults are :)

Agree, looked like the HP decided to make himself the figure point of the game and that isn't his place. He was looking to toss Harper and it was that way as soon as he called that 3rd strike on a terrible call.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:17 pm 

seems like Harper has upgraded his comp list somewhat

through age 22. Curious that Mantle was not hit by a pitch through age 22

Code:

Player          OPS+   PA 2B 3B HR  BB  SO HBP GDP SB CS   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
Mickey Mantle    148 2201 89 27 84 299 382   0  13 25 14 .296 .391 .505 .896
Bryce Harper     140 2022 91 15 86 255 426  12  28 37 16 .286 .380 .505 .884

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
Generated 9/4/2015.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:20 pm