Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Baseball Matters » Major League Baseball

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: David's 2017 Brew Crew
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:17 am 

Thought I would open a thread for David's Brewers .

They are doing really well this year in a year that is supposed to be a rebuilding year.

While many expected them to fade from their early season success, they have won 6 of their last 7 to open up a 3.5 game lead over the Cubs in the NL Central.

They are 47-40, and their pythag is 47-40 as well.

Team Page

While they are outperforming expectations, they are not winning "flukey"

I'm sure David is enjoying this as much as we are enjoying D backs surprising success. This is not 2011, and while dislike for Ryan Braun may still be "a thing" around here, I think we can all appreciate a team of under dogs outperforming expectations AND giving Joy to one of our original founding community members !

I think it would be awesome if the Brewers beat the Cubs for the Division. And as things stand right now, the Cubs are on the outside looking in to post season play. So thats not too bad, right ?

Post subject: Re: David's 2017 Brew Crew
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:28 am 

It's a little early to get too excited, but I'm enjoying the unexpected run in what is supposed to be a rebuild year. Right now it's easy to say anything they do is gravy, but as the season progresses and if they're still at or near the top, expectations will be greater. Tough call as to how to proceed--stay the rebuild course or cash in some chips and strike while the iron is hot (most notably for a pitcher with some years of control like Sonny Grey). I will trust David Stearns as he has mostly pushed all the right buttons. Counsel deserves a lot of credit too. Get temperament to manage this young team--instills confidence, keeps everyone involved and every time I've watched the Brewers they seem like they're having fun.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 am 

And piggybacking on my comment about controllable arms, Brewers look into Jose Quintana and Sonny Gray

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:59 am 

Who would you prefer ?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:14 am 

Depending on cost I'm fine with either. My gut tells me Gray is the more viable option. Quintana has one more year of control and a relatively low guaranteed salary. The Sox will want more for him. Gray has been the slightly better pitcher this year but is more of an injury risk.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 am 

the word is WS asking price for Quintana unreasonably high. They are looking for a shelby miller type return. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:18 am 

shoewizard wrote:
the word is WS asking price for Quintana unreasonably high. They are looking for a shelby miller type return. ;)

Is the phone ringing in Phoenix yet? :twisted:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:32 am 

EvilJuan wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Methinks he means they want what Shelby Miller cost us. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 am 

Yeah, thats what I meant

The cost for Quitana is going to be an A grade, first round level prospect, a current major leaguer who is decent or good, and another mid tier pitching prospect.

Why would the white sox take less than that ?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:50 am 

TAP wrote:
EvilJuan wrote:
shoewizard wrote:

Methinks he means they want what Shelby Miller cost us. ;)

I know that. ;) I was suggesting that perhaps the White Sox GM might say to himself, "I wonder if they'd bite again?" Granted, it's a different FO here now - but how much does a phone call cost?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:01 pm 

Jimmy Nelson out for the year with strained labrum/torn rotator cuff. That's the third Brewer starting pitcher (Anderson, Guerra) who went down either hitting or running the bases. I've been more than ready for the DH in both leagues for a while, but this seals it. Pitchers are just too valuable.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:37 pm 

David B wrote:
Jimmy Nelson out for the year with strained labrum/torn rotator cuff. That's the third Brewer starting pitcher (Anderson, Guerra) who went down either hitting or running the bases. I've been more than ready for the DH in both leagues for a while, but this seals it. Pitchers are just too valuable.

I have had so many debates with people over the added risk of injury to NL pitchers while batting and why in the modern game it's just not worth it. But it always falls on deaf ears.

It's like tribal politics.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:29 pm 

Got a feeling it won't be much longer until both leagues use AL rules

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Baseball Matters » Major League Baseball